seabasshunter3

What Paint To Use?

For my chirstmas gift my wife will be buying me a airbrush set and I would like to know what is the easier paint to use for a beginner sprayer? water based, acrlic, etc. I would guess that most companys produce similar products like createx, comart, or house of kolor to name a few that I have looked at. Thanks for any assistance you can give me with this.;)

Water based acrylic latex airbrush paint is the easiest to start with and probably to stick with because it's nontoxic and easy to clean up. Createx is popular and widely available but any of the brands work well. Most base their choice on the colors available. The color palette from taxidermy companies is more tailored to animals including fish, if that's your interest. Createx has a more generalized palette with fewer natural shades, but still has many useful colors for lure painting. Like most guys, I pick and choose from various sources. and/or mix colors to get intermediate hues.

You can do either. It's better to buy airbrush paint, but thinned craft paint works well in some brushes. If you end up getting a decent airbrush, I'd use airbrush paint. A lot of other paints have large pigments that clog nozzles. You can also strain the paints to get the larger pigment particles out, but with as long as a 2 oz bottle of createx lasts, it's worth it to me to use the createx and not have to worry (as much) about it.

Paint choices are as individual as choosing boxers or briefs, be sure to try several out before you settle on one, or several, types. Also be wary of the hazards with each paint system, and take appropriate precautions. One more thing to think of is the time factor, of all the paints mentioned, HOK needs to be coated within a time frame, or you run the risk of delamination, it's also the most toxic of the bunch. On the other hand, they do have a new enamel system out, designed for modelers, and using most of the colors in the standard line, but that's about as familiar as I am with it.