Spike-A-Pike

TU Gathering April 25-27, 2008

I was thinking of a thread from a week or two ago an a post by Nathan about having it at his place the last weekend in April. I am really looking forward for a chance to get over to Clinton, MO getting a chance to meet 'n greet the fellows of TU.

With Truman Lake fairly close by, a Non-Resident daily fishing permits cost $7.00. Has anyone been to one of these before??? How 'bout some stories...

IS it just me or is full scale, on site, tank testing is a real possibility. I can just see 30 to 50 TU members staying at one of the Clinton area hotels, each with a rod in one hand and a 5 gallon bucket full of lures in the other, standing around pool side with a keg.

For me, it's only a 240 mile drive... No way I can pass this up.

Thanks Nathan, what can I bring???

Hi

I have already made investigations into my options and I can get a flight non stop from Manchester right to Kansas City. It would be great to team up with some other guys and fish the local waters, I gather the nearest water is Trueman Res. I would make a full week of it though probably Friday through to Friday kind of thing and that would give me a chance to take in some local life and fishing. Ideally it would be great if another UK member fancies becoming a travel partner as can imagine it being a bit miserable on your own 6000+ miles from home in a strange place. Also I've got to find out what can be taken in the way of tackle ect. As you say Bruce perhaps Nathan could let us know what we need to bring to a TU meet.

philB

I have fished Table Rock Lake back in the mid-80s. I' m still learning about the area. Here's a link I found for Harry S Truman State Park http://www.mostateparks.com/trumanpark.htm

The end of April time frame should be very good weather wise, temps are normally pretty mild (70-80F) and the record temp for the area is like mid-90s.

I figure if we keep this thread popping to the top every few days, by April there will a real buzz going on.

Merry Christmas. Hope Father Christmas brings you all sorts of goodies.

Well Phil, not really. The weather starts to improve around the end of March/early April time frame. I expect we'll either be in coats and jeans or t-shirts and shorts.

I normally shed the heavy clothing pretty early in the year, having been raised in North Central Wisconsin. I freak out some of the neighbors as I go “dashing through the snow” in jeans and slipper to carry out the trash or bring in groceries.

Three of us from TN have been there twice.

We had a fantastic time.

Nate and Deb are wonderful people, and welcome you

into their home like family, after you been there 5 min.

There are several ponds, more like lakes close to Nate's that

have bass and crappie in them. We caught several 2# crappie

on custom made cranks.

I caught the most bass in a couple of hours, 51 I believe.

Charlie said I miss counted.

Gene caught some catfish in a mud pond behind Nate's home

on custom made " hot dogs"

Anyway, it was a super weekend, and I had tears in my eyes

when it came time to say goodbye.

Hey Dan,

Coley lives further south than us..their math is different:lol: :lol: ..We are really looking forward too all of you coming..The weather in late April is usually pretty nice..The food and friendship is out of this world..Nathan

PS..Coley..Maddie said if your able too make it you have too make your onion rings again!!

I know I'm coming in late here, but I think I would like to have a go at this, if nothing else just to see the faces behind the names - Bruce (S.A.P) comes to mind and Dave (VM), this could be a laugh. Straight away I'm thinking of your paranoid 'Customs' guys, but I think I could cope. Pete

Nathan, Would it be of any benefit to TU out-of-towners to take a tentative head count…

I have doing some checking and there seems to be 3 hotels in Clinton. The Best Western Colonial Motel ($58.08 to 69.00 a night) and Hampton Inn Clinton ($70.00 a night) seem like the places to stay. The Best Western has an outdoor pool and the Hampton Inn has an indoor pool and a free breakfast bar. If we could get a straw pole of members intending to attend, we might be able to get a group rate. The Best Western has 32 rooms; the Hampton Inn has 65 rooms.

Just think guys, if we do this right we can have all night Tank Testing and a kegger after the pool closes for swimming… Right?????