Spike-A-Pike

TU Gathering April 25-27, 2008

I've got to confess. That avatar I use is the imagination of a former co-worker, one of the best graphic artists I've had pleasure to work with. Between the two of us, we have done some pretty cool computer based training and simulation. It was almost impossible pilots to figure out if they were flying a television or an aircraft once we got them in side and taking off. He used to go to the Drudge Report several times a day and if there was anything interesting happening in the world, I would sometimes find myself in the photo of the event. I really don’t own a cheese-head (yet anyways).

I am getting a little old fashioned for that line of work, I believed the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

To quote husky, "You need a picture, because nobody else would believe you"- what I am I committing myself to here? I'm keen, but what will the weekend entail ?????? 13,000 miles away I have to make plans, book things ???????????????????????pete

Well Pete.

I don't know the total program, but let me tell you what I do know at this time.

I called the Hampton Inn Clinton, MO and inquired about getting a group discount. I was told that if we could get a minimum 10 room block, we could get the rooms for $70.00 a night… (about $10.00 off the regular rate) that would include the breakfast bar in the mornings, tea & coffee 24 hrs/day, swimming pool. This is a 2 Star rated accommodation out of a 4 star rating.

I also called the Best Western Colonial Motel about a group discount. No body answers the question. They advertise a rate of $63.00, but they don’t feature the breakfast bar or any extras. This accommodation is not rated.

In my opinion, the Hampton Inn Clinton, MO rate is the gov’t rate and I think it’s the better of the options in the Clinton area. We could all just pile into Vman’s Mini Cooper and get breakfast at Nathan and Debbie’s… Because there could well be 20, 30, 50 of us or more, I think we’d want to be there by 0430 to get everyone fed by 1030 to start lunch at 1100. (Can anyone else see Nathan reading this and his eyes just bugging out of his head, or is that just a me thing? LoL J)

On a serious note, if we want to get a lock on this rate, I need to get a firmer idea of many members plan on attending. To get this rolling, PM me with the number in your party.

What might be a problem here Bruce is that folk will be staying different lengths of time, would that make a difference ?. I cant believe there are only two places to stay, are there not other smaller places pubs/bars, guest houses/ B&B's ect.

philB

Thanks Bruce/Phil - The party, for me will be one, I am still trying to sort out flights etc - at this stage I am planning to come in through Vancouver (if possible) and then down to Kansas City, give me another week or so and I will have a definate answer. I am trying to break the direct to L.A flight (14 Hours) down a bit. pete

Pete, you didn't hear it from me but whan I was stationed near Oceanside, CA, you normally flew in and out via LA (and I don't mean Lower Alabama). I haven't be LA since 1979 and don't think I've missed it.

Phil, try the following web sites:

http://hotel-guides.us/missouri/clinton-mo-hotels.html

http://www.trails.com/all-hotels/city-hotel.asp?dest=MO+Clinton

http://www.city-data.com/city/Clinton-Missouri.html

Clinton is under 10,000 poeple large. There is a third inn, but I can't get a "national" view of them. I don't think extra days would be a problem. My Point of Contact (POC) is a lady named Melissa.

Hampton Inn Clinton, MO

900 Kansas Avenue, Clinton, Missouri, USA 64735

Tel: +1-660-885-4488 Fax: +1-660-885-2946

As for rental cars from Kansas City International, try this:

http://res.worldairportguides.com/nexres/cars/search.cgi?src=10010673

I was told I can reserve a block of rooms now and any thing not comfirmed 21 days out they will release from that block. I'll find out if there is a specific method to making the actual reservation.

I DO NOT WANT YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO!!!!!

bruce- Vancouver is out 22-23 hr flight via Tokyo- San Fran is lookin good, only 14 hrs, stay for a day and on to Kansas City by Thurs. I am trying to work out weather to stay 3 weeks or 2, is there any tackle/boat /strip shows within 750m of Clinton @ this time of year, sorry to be a pain in the A, but, it's much simpler for you locals knowing whats on, I don't even know what is on the local TV tonight !! Know what you mean about LA, been there done that. pete

Bruce - thanks for all this reservation info - does not matter what I key in, there are no cars available at MKC airport, no problem though, I have a car rental rates pamphlet in my hot little hand and will suss it out when I get there. Thanks pete

Okay Pete. Let me see what I can find out. 750 miles is a large chunk of land. The Bass Pro Shop world headquarters is in Springfield, MO (boats and fishing) and I think they have a boat test system at Table Rock Lake near Branson, MO.

Was it you who had mentioned checking out some Civil War Battlefields.

645 miles from Clinton, MO there is Stones River National Battlefield: May 3-4, 2008 - Living history, “Nineteenth US Infantry,” programs and demonstrations at Stones River National Battlefield in Murfreesboro. Free www.nps.gov/stri

Civil war information http://www.civilwartraveler.com/events/05-08.html

Bruce - yes, 750 m is a fair ride, should have said "Draw a line North and South through Kansas City and I have done all West of that, went to Bass Pro last time I was in Springfield, but may have another look, I can always buy another suitcase.

The Civil War thing sounds good (that was me)- thanks for the info Bruce, it's coming together this end, all I need is the leave (they owe me a year) and to find my passport. pete

Mike- thank's for that, I think that is the one we were looking for and got lost, last time I was in Springfield. I'm no boffin on this (cival War), I just think it was such a large part of your history - and so tragic, as they always are.pete

Pete,

Many of the battles in Missouri are best described as skirmishes, however many took place in or around the Missouri river corridor known as 'Little Dixie' due to the pro-slavery population in that area. The battle of Lexington,(Lexington Mo. is in close proximity to Kansas City) also known as: The Battle of the Hemp Bales; Left a cannon ball lodged in the courthouse portico, which is still standing today. However the cannon ball was replaced with a wooden ball sometime ago for safety reasons. For some interesting reading that will give some insight into this area during those times. Perform a search on Bloody Bill Anderson, Missouri Partisan Rangers, William Quantrill and Order 11. I have a few civil war artifacts I will bring to the meet in Clinton for you to look at.

Dan

Pete. I did't know if you like to just visit the individual battlefields and view them at your own pace. If you like the reenactments with people trying to display the key elliments of the various battles, seeing some of the actual troop movements, and the "Living History", Stones River National Battlefield: May 3-4 should be a good site.

I wish people would take time to realize that war is always tragic, regaurdless of when or where. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it...

I have doing some checking and there seems to be 3 hotels in Clinton. The Best Western Colonial Motel ($58.08 to 69.00 a night) and Hampton Inn Clinton ($70.00 a night) seem like the places to stay. The Best Western has an outdoor pool and the Hampton Inn has an indoor pool and a free breakfast bar. If we could get a straw pole of members intending to attend, we might be able to get a group rate. The Best Western has 32 rooms; the Hampton Inn has 65 rooms.

Just think guys, if we do this right we can have all night Tank Testing and a kegger after the pool closes for swimming… Right????? __________________

Bruce

Bruce/ Nathan - Can you put me down for a room (single, I snore, especially after a couple of beers !!!) wherever you reckon is the best deal, if they need deposit let me know and I will work something out- Do you take PayPal **?? Flight booked and paid for today. I will bring ear plugs, just in case. pete

Something you might consider to trim some of the cost of lodging is ask what price break they will give you over the next spot down the road. Being that April isn't the peak tourist season, I would venture to say they will compete to get the business. You might take the liberty to say while negotiating the deal; That you're representing a group that will be attending an annual event held nearby. Which is growing exponentially and has international draw.

Hey guys,

I haven't been on here for a while but I'm back. I would love to get in on the get together if its not too late. I would just drive down I'm only about 40 mins away.

If you guys are planning on booking hotel I would do it in a hurry. That is right in Turkey season and hunters "flock" in to Truman that time of year. Also crappie fisherman are hitting the lake pretty hard. And I believe thats about the time of the white bass run.

If you are looking for civil war history. I believe there is a lot of stuff in Lone Jack which is not far away from Clinton at all. One of my friends mother runs the website for the Lone Jack history Website

www.historicLoneJack.org I could find out if there is any thing worth checking out.

Do you guys have schedule of things planned?

.org