Painting Technique Scale Look-How do i do it

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saltyross

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

Just starting to paint some bucktails and would like to learn how to make the top have the scale look.Can you guys give me a quick lesson on the technique.

#2 CreekMonster

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hey, I think this might finally be my chance to "give" rather than "take".I mainly make cranks, so I don't know if this will help, but maybe it will. Go to your local craft store (Hobby Lobby here) a pick up some mesh fabric. It comes in a couple of sizes.(It's the fabric they use to Wrap rice in at weddings) Stretch it over the area where you want scales and just spray over the fabric like a stencil. If you' ll go to Jannsnetcraft website and find the "scale masking" material, you can see what it looks like but costs $1.35 a square foot. You can buy it much cheaper by the yard at the craft store. (Sorry Janns) Hope this helps.

#3 Spike-A-Pike

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hey Ross, F-16 Mech asked the same about 2 wks back and there was a lot of good information posted... Mesh scale pattern question should take you to the link. FatFingers and a few of the other members really get into the details.

#4 chappy

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

go to the dollar store and get a mesh laundry bag. cut to size you need.