Mags

Modifying a Manns 30+?

Found the Poes. Will give them a try.

http://www.usbass-tn.com/417450.html

Yup, it's the crank at the very bottom of the page

You can also order them straight from straight from Wordens (if US doesn't have them, or the colors you want - I've ordered from him before and he usually doesn't stock a lot of these in the winter).

http://www.yakimabait.com/catalog/html/Competition-Cedar-p-16160.html

It's the "1 oz." model in the drop box.

Just to let you know....the finish on these will sometimes split or crack (typical Poe's....and the Comp Cedars are the "Premium" line").....so you'll want to keep some epoxy handy to touch up splits in the finish. It's no biggie to me, but I realize some people won't want to deal with it.

IMO, however, it's worth it.......I stopped fishing with the Manns and LJ the first time I threw one of these - they are a supurb design.

I'll keep you updated on how I do with Marty's bait, too......I immediately started catching fish on the proto he sent me, and he just sent me another version that I think is going to be even better.....he does some great work:

mart3.jpg

Some guys out here in SoCal use 6lb test, and, after making their cast, use the trolling motor as they let line out to "extend" their cast before they start their retrieve to get cranks deeper.

It has become a tournament issue, with some local trails limiting the amount of line that can be let out to 10 yds, and outlawing the extension of a cast by use of the trolling motor.

But it works, and tournaments were won using it. That's why it was addressed and outlawed.

Wow, that bait looks like a killer. Please keep me in the loop if these work out and he wants to sell some.

I'll definately try the big Poes. I'm a big Poes fan, but have only used the RC, 300 and 400 series. I've repainted hundreds of them. The 400 just doesn't get deep enough for the clear water we have around here most of the time. When I fished Kentucky Lake back in the 80's this was the bait of choice. Lots of big bags caught on the 300 and 400. The LJ express about pulls your arm off, but with the fish I catch I don't care. I like that big sucker to get down there and hunt!

BobP, thanks for the line suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Mark, that technique has been used here also. No word on a ban yet.

Steve

Wow, that bait looks like a killer. Please keep me in the loop if these work out and he wants to sell some.

I'll definitely keep you informed.....I'm surprised Marty hasn't chimed in yet - - I know he frequents this board. I've been impressed with everything I've gotten from him - - especially his little flatsided cranks.

He has done some really unique pieces.....check out this one that I recently got from him.....I've never seen anything this skinny - - I think I'm actually going to try using it for sight fishing this year...:wink:

skinnymart.jpg

I used his standard thickness crank extensively during the fall - - it has become one of my go-to baits for shallow cranking.

burns1.jpg

Oh, I have tried 8 pound line and have had poor results. Can we say "rocket launch" when the line snapped. Perhaps someone could recommend a good 8 pound cranking line. Ten pound has been the lower limit for me. A frend of mine uses 8 pound P-line, but I think the diameter is about the same as most companies 10.

Steve

try 8lb power pro (1lb diam) and experiment with a flouro leader. Use a line conditioner on the braid so it comes off the spool easy and use a high end light spool reel. Combined with an 8' crankin' stick and a carolina rig like what's mentioned you can get some major depths! You can file bills down to dive at a sharper angle so the lure stays in the productive zone longer,but prepare to sacrifice a few baits learning how.

do you ever try heavy spinnerbaits? I've been throwing 2.5oz blades lately with some success. Another lure that stays in the zone much longer especially with a big colorado.

hope this helps.

I'll give the Power Pro a try, but I have used braid before for cranking and the problem I've had is if you a backlash you might as well get out your knife and start cutting. I use bigger braid, 30 pound test power pro for my topwater fishing. It works good for hooksets on long casts with sammys and super spooks. I will give it a try, as the smaller diameter should help. Where are you getting your 2.5 ounce spinnerbaits?

The Fritz deal is no more than adding lead to the chest of the bait. I used to have the video, but sold it. You may still be able to find it online. He drills the chest, about 1/4 inch deep at about a 45 degree angle to the bill between the bill and the first hook hanger. He then adds molten lead and when he gets it where he wants it he epoxies over the lead. I don't remember the drill bit size, but have some drilled and can give you the approximate size in the morning. Since every Poes "used to be" a little different (I already have a lifetime supply and haven't bought any 400's in years) you have to play with the weighting by testing each bait in a bucket of water. A key is to have the water at about the temp you intend to fish. I have some 400's that I weighted using this method that suspend beautifully in cold water, but will sink in warm summer water. I lighten them up by changing to number 4's and light split rings if I want to fish them in summer. The whole process requires adding weight and possibly drilling some out to lighten or drilling it all out, drilling deeper and adding more. One other thing, don't drill too deep or you will get into the hook hanger.

Heavy spinnerbaits: FLW mag this month has a short article on them. Here are some:

2.5 oz Blade Runner Guppy - bladerunnertackle.com $7.35

1 oz Booyah Double Willow - booyahbaits.com $5.74

1.5 oz StrikeZone Ledgebuster - no site $7.19

1 oz Stanley Big Shot - fishstanley.com price TBA

1 oz Cumberland Pro - cumberlandpro.com $5.49

I've thrown 1 and a 1.5 oz SB's, not sure I'd want to be heaving 2.5 oz very long. The Cumberland Pro gets the nod as the best quality for the price. I'm sure there are others, and you can roll your own with components from staminainc.com. There are probably other sources if you look at musky lure sites.

Yeah, the lower you hold your rod tip, the deeper the lure, on a 1:1 basis. If you usually hold the rod horizontal, holding the tip at the water's surface will get you 3-4 ft deeper. It's the fastest way to get a deeper diving crankbait. If you kneel and stick the rod down in the water like Paul Elias, that works too but will reduce sensitivity.

Spike-A-Pike, spoken like a true nawthun pike troller :) We-uns down hyar only use cannon balls for one thang - bombarding forts - and we dint have much luck with it, last we tried. Downrigger on a bass boat? You'd be drummed out of the local bass club. But I gotta admit, a beer and a brat sounds good!

Hey, none of us guys in East Tennessee throw modified Mann's 30+ cranks...nope never happens...it's all just a myth. We never deep crank, we never file lips and we never weight with lead. This is all just total fabrication and hearsay. Yeah, right! Using a file properly is an art. Also, don't use a low gear ratio reel or a long crankin' rod. By the way, the best crankin' reel ever was discontinued about a year ago. !00 foot cast with a 30+...believe it. Just because you have never done it or seen it done doesn't mean it isn't true. Deep crankin' works....both Rick Clunn and Mark Davis got modified 30+ cranks from Ricky Shepherd...that's why they were 1st and 3rd in the 2001 Megabucks tournament. There are just as many, if not more great deep crankers in East Tennessee as N. Carolina. Hey, do people really fish deep cranks straight out of the package?

I just received the Poes. They look excellent right out of the box, although I'll be re-painting them in my confidence colors. The US BASS owner even sent me a free spinnerbait they make there. Looks good too!

Yes, what reel are you talking about.

I just received the Poes. They look excellent right out of the box, although I'll be re-painting them in my confidence colors. The US BASS owner even sent me a free spinnerbait they make there. Looks good too!

Yes, what reel are you talking about.

You will be impressed - - nothing I've used goes so deep, so easily.

BTW.....I got to spend some more time with Marty's new crank today. I can cast and reel legitimate 18-20' depths, and just for fun I kneeled it down to ~23'. I am VERY impressed with that crank. (BTW....this is using 20 lb. PowerPro braid.....I hate mono)