tschneid83

to bleed or not to bleed

i think the red theory is a hoax. how many dead minnows do you see with red on them? have you ever seen red on any minnows in a school as they went by? i've tied red streamers, skirts, etc. for years and could tell no difference. i think the red hook or red throat/gills theory is just like all the other baloney theories. it's a gimmic.

Piddler has a good point. One thing that I think about all the time is 'Why Red'?

People say that red is just a bass attracting color. Well I think that if 40% of the people are always fishing red, then yes there will be more fish caught on red. But let's consider the color spectrum. Red is the first color to dissapear. So all those cranks that are being fished 12'-16' with red on them are being eaten as just 'cranks', not 'red cranks'. That's my thought.

I believe that if you have confidence in a bait, you will land more fish, regardless of color!

While I agree with you guys to an extent. Red also has other appreances other than blood. It is also used to show flaring gills, the fish's anus and some studies have shown that when a bait fish is frightened (like when it is going to be eaten) its body sends a impulse to its tail telling it to change colour - and you guessed it...to red. It might all be a load of crap, but if you catch more fish or fishermen (if you're selling your baits) does it really matter?

out2llunge makes good points about the flared gills etc. Also one of the first signs gizzard shad and many other soft ray baitfish show of distress is "red nose". Ever hard fight a bass in cold water aka mid 40's, and see that he so blushed due to stress he looks as though he's going to bleed between his scales? And I'd say maybe red makes less difference bass fishing, but try to take those red-craw cranks fom alot of Georgia to Texas guys and you would for sure have a fight on your hands. And I'd venture to say that two-thirds of the saltwater plugs thrown in the Gulf bays and flats in the last 50 years have had red heads(52M11 Mirrolures etc.). And does it matter to the fish at what depth a particular color disappears? I mean if red looks like mottled gray to a predator at a certain depth, then wouldn't that be the color he instintively expects to see on the gills etc. at that depth? All of us who've paid time on the water dues have seen too many times when lure color makes a difference to varying degrees. And red is a color...

Dean