stripercrazy

jerkbait w/tail lip questions

:) I know nothing about these:nuhuh: was on a musky site last nite and reading on jerkbaits and they had info on the sink and rise jerkbaits type baits...never under stood why a lip was in the tail, but it sank in last nite:lol: duh...I ain't the sharpest tack:) but never useing one the tail forces it to dive nose down, my question is how should it float back up...level? nose up?thanks for any help....it's black cherry...my question is to help me wonder if I should belly weight it:) thanks ed...I'll probly touch up the tail lip too

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

jbait1.JPG

jbait3.JPG

jerkbait2.JPG

2460_thumb.attach

2461_thumb.attach

2462_thumb.attach

SC,

What's going on here is understandably confusing. Although the Suick and the Manta both have tail lip's, they are Very different lure's!!! The Suick is as you stated, a dive and rise jerkbait with a tunable tail to vary the angle you wish it to dive at. Either long and shallow or short and deep. This type lure does not have to be weighted for shallow application's. If you prefer a deeper dive/ rise, weight the lure toward the nose. The Manta is a walk the dog glide bait. The tail on this lure is added one for weight, and to stabilize the lure preventing excessive roll. Weighting on a glide bait can also vary between a surface or a countdown style. Hope this help's.

Douglas

P.S. Now you can tell me all the dirty little secret's about Darter's!!!

douglas, thanks alot:) I just watched the movie on there website(river run) and from what you posted I got a better understanding of the tail lip, going to switch out the tail lip on this one:) funny, the saltwater builders have never (that I've seen) used a tail lip to stop roll:? plugs pastic too and a sinker...looked really great in the movie, never seen anyone use one here in rhody:) thank you very much

wow, doug that bait looks great, looks just like the bait we got here alantic manhaden:yes: I made some changes I put a flat lip in and weighted it ,hopely right to get it to glide left and right..moved the rear hook back too:) its 2.7oz w/2/0 hooks as it sits, probly 3 after epoxy and stuff, unless I have to take out some of the lead there 3/8 deep and 3/8 around:)

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

change1.JPG

ertyuf.JPG

wplodr.JPG

2466_thumb.attach

2467_thumb.attach

2468_thumb.attach

Rowhunter is right on, the straight rear lip acts as a stabilizer in the water exactly like a rocket's fins. As far as weighting and bending the tail, you need to ask yoursellf what action you want out of the lure. If you do as your first inital pic, with a weight added to the front, the lure should dive a bit deeper with the nose weight and tail angled. When you kill it, it should float up nose down and the tail should act a bit like a lip and make it have a slight wobble on the rise. It should also cast like crap :)

On your revised edition, you should get more of a subdued gliding action. If you move both weights closer to the center you should get more action, but less roll stability. But it should cast better.

Of course this is in theory, which is the beauty (fun) of making your own baits: it may do all or none of the above, which then requires adjustment and readjustment....

Clemmy