HellRAISER

the shape

It's an old truism but in crankbaits, everything affects everything else. If you're looking for a tight fast wobble, flat sides promote that. But the effect is in proportion to the total side area of the bait. The tail, being a small part of the area, will affect it less than the rest of the body. Besides, you do want the crankbait to look like a fish.

I would look through the gallery and get a feel for the various shapes. Choose a general shape that you like. Close the computer and sketch the shape on a piece of paper. Adjust it, adjust it some more, until it looks right. If it looks right then it probably is.

Doing it this way, you can be satisfied that the shape is yours, there is no pleasure to be had from directly copying someone elses. Make a master and photocopy it. Use the copies and keep the master safe.

If you want a computer drawn master, digitize your master and e-mail it to me, I would be glad to draw it out for you, or anyone else for that matter. It only takes a couple of minutes, same goes for lip sheets.

I just read your post again, that is not what you asked, the offer stands anyway.

Fish are shaped the way they are for a reason. If the tail end is too deep, there will be more resistance to side movement and you will end up with a log with no movement. Depth is OK around the ballast location and taper back to the nose. It's a force times distance thing.

Start off with fish shapes, you can't go far wrong.

Fish are shaped the way they are for a reason. If the tail end is too deep, there will be more resistance to side movement and you will end up with a log with no movement. Depth is OK around the ballast location and taper back to the nose. It's a force times distance thing.

Start off with fish shapes, you can't go far wrong.

Vman.

You're spot on ole man.

HellRAISER.

Part of reason cranks have the

I do alot of flat sided baits and favor them over fat baits most of the year. Most of mine in the gallery are flat. My avatar is a flat sided bait with the edges rounded off. Flat sides and a somewhat narrow lip with the line tie a bit closer to the nose than average will usually give you a tight vibration. Think of commercial baits that have those attributes, like the Rapala Shadrap

I've never used 'paint'. If it can draw circles and lines, then it can draw any body shape that you desire and your set to go.

I will add, build your lure, seal the wood, then take it out for a swim test BEFORE spending hours painting. It will probably need a lot of adjustments to lip, eye location and ballast location to find the movement that you are looking for.