Cranky Fish

Quick Question about underwater cameras

I know that I am posting in the wrong forum but the others seem to be dead today. I need a little advice from people I trust. Got an underwater fishing camera for christmas. The manual calls for a 12volt 7 amp battery. Looks like something you need for a kid's powerwheel or something. Can I not just hook in to my boats control panel? I know that the amps are different but I believe the deep cell is in the 30 amp range and that the cranking is in the 70's. Has anyone already wired direct. I am very anxious to hit the water with it but scared to burn it up by wiring it incorrectly. Thanks and everybody Merry Christmas.

Just to be sure, I would go along with Marks suggestion, but as long as the voltages match their should be no problem. The current is drawn by the circuit or device, not pushed in, so as long as the battery is capable of giving up 7 amps, you are OK.

That is a lot of amps for a camera, has it got an electric outboard motor attached?

Thank you for the quick replies fellas! I thought about the fuse and was hoping that would take care of any problems. I called batteries plus earlier this morning and he said that as long as the voltage was the same the amps only determined the running hours. I just hated to screw something else up. I got a bad habit of rushing in to things and the next thing I know I have to replace something. Thank you for the help.

I get it now, the battery is a 7Ah (amp hours) rating. In that case the camera will not be drawing any where near 7 amps. A 0.5 or 1 amp fuse might be more appropriate.

Usual disclaimer contract applies (kidding), good luck with it. Why not post some pics when you've had a chance to try it out.

Yes, you can connect to any 12V boat power, no worry. I have an Aqua View and can buy an accessory cable with clips for hooking it up to the boat but use the 7ah battery since it fits in my camera's base and can run several hours. 12VDC 70 amps is a measure of the battery's charge capacity and tells you how long it will run and how long it will take to recharge. If your 70ah battery is 50% discharged, it will take a 10 amp charger 3 1/2 hours to replace those 35 amp hours. Your camera probably has a 1-3 amp fuse in it's display head. They don't use much power. Hope you enjoy it. Most times, I find it takes 2 guys to use it - one to control the boat and one to control the line and camera, unless you're viewing while at anchor. It's interesting to use. With the camera and my Humminbird sidescan sonar, I can easily fiddle with them all day and never do any serious fishing :)

Sounds like you got on Santa’s NICE list this year. I have heard of ice fisherman having a difficult time trying to decide on how to set their camera angles.

Option 1. Drill a second hole next to one they are fishing in and watch the fish from the side.

Option 2. Tilt the camera straight down in the same hole they are fishing several feet above the bait and watch the fish come in from all directions.

One thing for sure… Ice fishing is the chilling reality that you have a jerk on one end of a line waiting for a jerk on the other end.

Yeah, Christmas came a couple days early! My wife is my tournament partner. She will always be there to help with the camera. I figure she will have as much fun as I do. If the fish aren't biting I normally turn around to find her asleep. I don't mind it much, she fell asleep earlier this year for about two hours. 5 minutes after she woke up she caught one 9lbs 11oz! She hurt a couple guys feelings at the weigh-in that day!