CreekMonster

Devcon

Maybe somebody can help. I use d2 to coat some of my lures and occasionally it develops thin spots ( kinda looks like what happens when you paint over oil spots)Its kinda like fisheye.I use a drying wheel so its not that its running or sagging, just looks like it wants to seperate from that particular spot. Any advice or explanation?

Jay

Hello,

Devcon is a great top coat but it can be touchy. I have used it for years so I know it's pros and cons. It likes to pull away from any sharp corners or edges so you have to be careful in those areas. It will "fish eye" or "spot" like you said if there is any oil or whatever from your hands on the bait or if you try and spread it too thin. The best thing is to use disposible gloves when handling your baits. Make sure your bait is perfectly clean before applying. Make sure you have enough devcon and don't try and spread it too thin. It is best applied in 70 degrees or better. I heat mine in the tube with a hair dryer if it isn't at room temperature. While I am turning my baits, I keep a close eye on them and if I see a spot starting to form I hit it with a hair dryer and use my application brush to smooth it out. Once it tacks up, these "spots" won't appear, but for the first few minutes you should watch them close. Hope this helps.

Rod

Hello,

Make sure your bait is perfectly clean before applying.

How clean is clean? Is soap and water enough, or is MEK or acatone the route to go??? I always seem to use a little WD-40 in the shop and manage to get mist on stuff all the time. As the name states, "Water Displacement formula #40" displaces water and soap & water doesn't always seem to get it off?