Jigsbydirk

PonyHead Painting Tips

Didin't find much information when I searched the site on how to powder paint ponyheads without getting the swivels covered. What are your ideas to protect the swivels? Thanks for your help.

I paint stand-up jigs with the swivel, in place all the time. I bought 12 rolls of cloth heat tape. It withstands 700 degrees Fahrenheit. I had to buy 12 because it's the only way my distributor will sell it to me. BTW he's in China. I wrap the swivels with cut pieces of tape, heat the jig, (I use a heat gun), dip the jig in powder paint, and you're done. Let cool take off tape, and you have a perfect revolving swivel everytime. Bake jig in oven. It's the best way I've found so far. It's a little time consuming, but I hate painted swivels. First off they rarely work, and when you break the paint off they look very un-professional. I could never sell jigs like that to anyone. If you want more info, PM me.

Jigsbydirk

You will get better and consistent results with your finished jig when you use a dedicated curing oven.

For application (depending on the size of the jig) you can use cadman’s technique or try using aluminum foil – both time consuming.

For larger jigs an alternative technique is using brushes but would require a heat gun or a controlled heat source. You can use an open flame but it is a lot easier using the heat gun.

Thanks for the tips. I paint over a gas flame, do you think the tape methods will still work. Thanks again.

I just went down stairs, and took a piece of tape and held a match over. Yes it did start to flame up and burn. However you are not going to be heating the swivel, only the jig. I'm not saying that if you don't hold it too long over the flame it will not flare up. I know there are guys on this site that use a open flame. I do not, so I can't comment on it. Read post below.

Jigsbydirk

You will get better and consistent results with your finished jig when you use a dedicated curing oven.

For application (depending on the size of the jig) you can use cadman

Jigsbydirk

I cure the jigheads in an oven but use the gas flame for apllication heat.

I watched some of the videos of powder painting with brushes and have thought about playing with that on ponyheads. Is there any certain brush that works better?

Thanks again for your help.

Not to change your way of painting. But can I ask you why you use an open flame? Just curious about any benefets if there are any. I assume you are referring to Tj's tackle video. First I want to say, that it is the best place to start. Also Tj's has the best price right now for powder paint. So if you haven't gone to his website check it out. I also have a tutorial for the advanced powder painter. However you can use this system to do one color also. If you are interested, PM me with your e-mail, and I will send it to you. Combined with TJ's video, and my tutorial, you should be on your way to some fantabulous powder painting.

I like to use a flat camel for fine stuff and a rounded camel hair for medium jigs. Have not done a lot on real big jigs – but the larger make up brushes work well.

Any medium brush will work, just have to practice, and get use to it. It’s important that your paint is fluffed up and if you are mixing paint - it is completely mixed.

TJ’s video is a great start and cadman’s tutorial offers some excellent instructions.

Strongly advise getting a heat gun – especially if you want to try this method.

Two questions.

Are you painting 'powder paint' with the brushes?

How does one get a copy of TJ's video?

Thanks!

Here's the link to tj's www.tjstackle.com. Follow directions under powder painting. He also has directions on how to use a fluid bed. I don't see the video any more though.......... As far as using brushes goes. This is what it is. You heat the jig, and then take a small artist brush, dip it in the powder paint, and then take the brush over your hot jig, and tap the paint on. This is the only way I know, on how to blend 3 or more colors in a designated area on your jig.

I use a paint sample bottle that I get at my local Kelly Moore paint dealer. With the bottle about half full or empty whichever you prefer, hold it approx. 2-3 inches from you heated jig and squeeze gently in short puffs until you get the desired effect. You may have to adjust the angle and the force of the puffs until you get the flow that works for you The puffing does cool you jig down quicker so you will have to reheat. If you work over or into a small bos, you can recover any overspray and use it again.

TJ (not from TJ's Tackle)