jimmie7915

auto air question

Hello again fellas.I was wandering if anybody here paints with the createx auto air colors and if so does anybody have any tips or comments about it.Is it like using the reg. createx ?Anything will help I am looking to get some different kinds of paints and wanted some info on this before purchasing due to the price.Thanks again fellas!

I haven't used the auto Createx myself. You are talking about automotive paint right? I have a friend who has bombarded me with automotive paints for my Paashe. I haven't gotten time to use them yet. He airbrushes for a living painting anything and everything. The one tip he gave me was to use WD-40. When you need to clean out or change up keep a vial full of WD-40 and blow the gun clean. He says it's been working great for him for about 10 years now!

Cliff, will that paint stick to soft plastic baits and dry super fast? Im making tube swim baits, they are made by diping process dipped 4 times. So after the 3rd dip you paint on the Scale pattern put on the eyes then dip the the 4th time in clear plastic. I have used SEM color Coat paint out of a spray can that you can buy at a auto parts store and it works but i want more control over the paint so im buying a airbrush to do it. Thanks Ted

Cliff, will that paint stick to soft plastic baits and dry super fast? Im making tube swim baits, they are made by diping process dipped 4 times. So after the 3rd dip you paint on the Scale pattern put on the eyes then dip the the 4th time in clear plastic. I have used SEM color Coat paint out of a spray can that you can buy at a auto parts store and it works but i want more control over the paint so im buying a airbrush to do it. Thanks Ted

Never tried it, but adhesion and fast drying are definately not one it's best traits. If you have a spray booth (and are aware of the hazards!) I would suggest automotive enamels from Sherwin Williams. That's what I am using now and really like it. Sprays well and dries fast.

Cliff

Off topic in this forum, but I did some testing on soft plastics for another member when all the talk about the Basstrix was going on and how do they do it. Your best bet is to airbrush with pure pigments or pearls (no binder) and acetone. This will lightly etch into the plastic and dry as soon as it hits it as long as you use a very fine needle and are at the right distance. Then your final dip will cover it.

From what I could figure out they are making the scales with the same netting we use for the scales but in a totally different way. You should use the same acetone with pure powder pearls and then spray the stretched netting with a heavy coat of Pearl. Then after you get the final color on the bait just roll the back of the bait across the netting using a small amount of pressure and the pearl scales will stick to the soft plastic. Very small amounts of pigment will go a long way when painting the bait and use a lot when spraying the netting.

The key is no binder in your paint, because almost any binder you use will react with the plastics in time. Let the plastic be your binder in the final dip. The pearls and pigments will rub off to some degree until you do your final dip so be careful where you store them while you are waiting to dip them.

I'm not sure if this is the technique any company uses but in my limited testing it seemed to work great.

I think the highlighted portion is what you are looking for. I have not tested it yet but you might be able to use a fine mist spray bottle and the netting and save the trouble with the spray gun. Find one that is made of HDPE.