jimmie7915

Compressor Question

Well, pressure is pressure. I like an airbrush compressor simply for it's small size, light weight, and very low noise, because I paint in the house. And I'm used to it, and its certain amount of pressure drop between trigger-0ff, and trigger-on. If none of these considerations are an issure to you, I see no reason to change.

Dean

I also use one of my construction compressors for airbrushing. I like that it has a larger tank, and I can leave the pressure set at what I used for nail guns, since I have a separate pressure regulator and water filter inline just before the airbrush hose. I paint in the garage, so noise isn't an issue, but I only use a small 2hp pancake compressor for painting because it is quieter. I'd go nuts from the noise if I used an Emglo or one of the big const. compressors.

Dean, I just finished my first four baits on my new drying wheel, and you were right. The finishes look amazing. Thanks.

With a moisture filter, a pressure regulator and fittings, think you'll be set with a small tool compressor. Good airbrush compressors start at around $150, so you might as well use what you have. The only reservation is if you paint inside the house where a tool compressor would be too noisy. However most of the airbrush compressors are far from quiet.

The one I have is just a general compressor and it works great. I bought it at a local hardware store and it's a 16 gallon size I believe. I had one smaller before this one and didn't like it because it kicked on too much. This one I fire up before I paint and then generally only have to recharge it once or twice during each paint session.

RM

I have a Porter Cable with a 26 gallon tank. Got it on close out at our local hardware for about $219. My paint sessions sometimes last hours with four brushes going off and on and it only comes on a couple of times. I have had several of the smaller airbrush type compressors and I like this one better by far. I have it mounted in the garage outside my shop and a 30 foot airhose going to the manifold. I barely notice it coming on.

Rod