seabasshunter3

spraying waterbased paints

I have a question on water based paints when spraying them is it ok to do so inside of a house? Do you need something like a Paint Spray Booth that would be a small one that I have seen like from PAASCHE I think it was like 30x16x30 with 2 fan units and filters? Does anyone use something like this or can one be constructed of say plywood with no fans being that it is water based paint and the fumes should not make you high. Also along these same lines which work better a table based vise or say a fly tying station to hold your lure for painting? Again thanks for the help.......

The water based paints do not cause any major health concerns. But I would highly recomend some type of booth or area to contain over spray.On the holder issue,I personaly use blocks of 2x4 with a hole drilled at an angle in the center.I use xacto knife handles to hold my baits at the rear hook eye.Works very well for me.

I am not an expert at anything, therefore I rarely post on here, but I will tell you this. The questions you have asked is basically this whole forum. I would just caution you that anytime you atomize something you should take some precaution so that you don't breathe it in. You may not notice much when spraying water based paint (you don't get high, or headache) but I assure you foreign objects in your lungs, especially over long periods, aren't good for you.

Usually a simple paper mask is sufficient for most water based paints, but you should follow manufacturer recommendations. There are such things as water based polyurethane for instance. I have tried some of these and some smell just like the solvent based stuff. Just be safe, thats all.

If you want to read literally hours worth of stuff just type in keywords in at the search tab (top of page) and you can get most any answer you are looking for, including some great plans for a paint booth.

The finer the airbrush tip, the finer the paint droplets. Many droplets stay wet, hit the bait and stick but there's always overspray. Some droplets dry so quickly in the brush's airstream that they become dust particles. A booth keeps the dust from circulating into the surrounding air. The dust isn't a huge problem since acrylic paint is non-toxic and there usually isn't a huge amount of dust created. But dust is dust. It isn't ideal to breathe it or have it settle on furniture and other surfaces in the house. If you use a simple box for a spray booth you'll find dust accumulates inside quickly and it will get blown around in the booth and get on your work. So you'll need to clean it regularly. IMO, it would be easier to build a proper booth with filter and air than to have to clean the inside after every session. As far as holding lures while painting, a lot of guys favor Xacto handles. A fly vise would also work as long as it can hold the heaviest bait you make. I mostly use locking forceps clamped onto the lip. I like it because I don't have to pause to reposition the bait on a fixture while painting.

Me being new, I built my own paint booth with a furnace fan in a separate box like showed in one of the links.

I bought the exacto knifes they work nice but when I wanted to dip in dicknite I had to take them off and then hold the lure a different way, I tried the locking forceps and to get the first click I damaged the bill of a lucky craft, I like the cheap .39 cent tiny clamps I got at home depot but I just need to figure out a holder for them.

I also bought a fly tieing vise the one with the metal base so the rod stands up and you can spin the rod to rotate the bait, it came as a 2 part in a case, so I have a short length rod and a long rod with a separate clamp on holder for a rod.