HellRAISER

the work place

The two biggest constraints always seem to center around time and budget. If you have more time than budget, try to get tools that are built well and will last a long time. Squares, wood planes, back saw, copping saw, files, rasps, clamps, vise, chisels… Good basic set of wood tools. If your budget allows, look for power tools, a good band saw can help you both rough cut large pieces of wood into workable sizes. You may also want to add a drill or drill press (the drill press can also serve as a sander) and a combination belt/disc sander.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

I would work on the band saw before the table saw. I have both. You can do most of the stuff a table saw does with the band saw, but not the other way around.

I would get some med. and fine wood rasps, and coarse and fine files. Rat tail, half round, and flat. Also a portable drill, like a cordless. Make sure it has a chuck that will hold fine bits, like those used for hinge pin wire.

It might be cheaper to kiss and make up with your Dad. :o)

The minimum depends on how you want to work. I do mine with a scroll saw (would rather use a bandsaw), a disc sander and a Dremel tool with lots of bits - sanding drums, miniature drill bits, high speed shapers, etc. Minimal kit? A sharp knife and sandpaper! It's mostly about learning how to use the tools you have to best effect. More power tools make things faster and more accurate - if you know how to use them properly. But if you have the time and the inclination, simple hand tools can produce great results too.