b75nweav

Crawdads?

I use stencils cut with an Xacto knife on a roll of frisket sheet (a fairly soft translucent plastic sheet with a peel-off adhesive backing). You want someting that will bend so you can press the stencil against the surfaces to be painted. My "low tack" frisket material was supposed to peel off cleanly but I it still tore paint off so now I just cut the stencil and leave on the paper backing. That also makes the stencil reversable and reusable. I use stencils for craw legs, red gills, kill spots and similar small features. Dry the wet paint on the stencil with a hair dryer after the first side, then flip it over and do the other. I think it will work better than blue painters' tape.

What is friskit sheet and where can you get it...Rob

thin plastic sheeting used for masking delicate surfaces. you can get it at the craft stores like Michaels ac moore or at an art store. If you go to the craft store wait till the coupon comes out in the paper and get 40% off. About $14-15 regular price for all you will ever need

About anything can be used. Frisket, ceral boxes, note cards, etc... I usualy hold the stencil off the bait anyway to get a little fading of the detail. I think I use note/recipe card stock the most. Seems to always be handy and I am not too concerned about repeating the exact thing. A recipe card or thin cardboard works fine as long as one doesn't soak it and will last for a lot of baits. The other option is to make the bait with the detail and highlight these areas. I typically use a fine brush and just line the crevices with watered down paint. A lot of guys here can really do some fine work with the airbrush.

Details sprayed using recipe card stencil:

craw.jpg

Brushed on with watered down paint:

Craw-1.jpg

Thanks guys for the compliments. I enjoy using my airbrush but for some reason don't manage to finish many baits (I end up with a lot of primed cranks). I was showng the two ways I put details on baits. I am a complete novice when it comes to airbrushing so don't put too much weight on how I do it. I think I may have painted 20 baits this last year. I have used tape before in the past and found that as long as you lightly score along the tape line with a sharp blade it pulls clean. It takes a light hand.

Just fnd what works for you and look at the gallery to observe some guys techniqes. I look to see how some guys blend their colors, choose colors, layering of colors, use of highlights, etc... Most importantly relate it to your ability.