rossrods

laminated foammies can it be done?

Hey guys ,has anyone tried to do a lamination construction method with foam baits. Meaning take a sperate right side/left side and laminate the two sides together to give you the complete bait.I use this method with balsa baits and was wanting to speed the process up with using a mold and 16lb urethane foam.

I design my profiles in 3d cad then slice them in my models on screen into 2 dimension shapes(left side-right side)then convert to cam language, then into a G code for my cnc mill to cut out the profiles.After I cut out the pieces that were inlayed and cut out of the balsa I use an xacto to knife to cut out the sides.I cut in rattle chambers for weights glue up the sides and I have a complete 3d model and a complete bait.Its easier to use xyz axis and not get into the 4 axis on the mill which would be a complete 3d bait,if used with 4th axis.I have been told that the lamination process is stronger in balsa construction than using solid material.Hook holders,lexan lips,will have less tendacies to pull out.

I think it would be easiest and quicker to make the traditional two part RTV mold and place the "guts" in and cast the complete lure than generate multiple halves. I say this because from my experience foamies will change slightly in shape when removed from the molds. I would not want to attempt to match up halves and more importantly the molded in rattle chamber sections. I believe it will be easier and quicker going with a one piece construction but look very forward to seeing how they turn out if you go with the two part method.