Predator Bass Baits

Tape removal problem

Rod, I am not heat setting but I do have a box ( short for custom ) with a heat source in it set at 95deg at the top ( kind of like a oven but actually this is one of my reptile cages I build and sell.) ( heat is radiant heat )

How long do you wait after painting before you take the tape off ? do you spray,brush, dip top coat and befor or after you take the tape off ?

predator,

I heat set my paint with a hair dryer after every coat. I use Createx, Wildlife colors, Auto Air, Poly Transpar and Golden airbrush paints, usually a combination of some or all of them. I generally let everything dry overnight, remove the tape and brush on the top coat. I use Devcon.

Rod

Predayor, I'm assuming you're pulling the masking tape from the bill and the paint is peeling. Can't help you with that, I haven't had that problem before....even after days of sitting beofre topcoating.

I never peel masking tape off until after I topcoat. I use Devcon, single coat, and peel tape off as soon as I'm done brushing on to the last lure. I want to make sure I get all the paint without getting any extra on the bill.

I think heat setting the paint with a hair dryer, and then pulling the tape slowly toward itself will help. There's alway a chance for a pull away, but, if it's still connected to the lure, just lay it back in place with the back of a exacto knife blade, and coat it. The epoxy will hold it in place.

I'm impatient, so I peel the tape after an hour, and then top coat with epoxy. Yesterday I coated some baits as soon as the eyes I painted were heat set, and had no problems.

Predator

Are you using the blue painters tape....just curious dont see though where your problem would make much of a difference. I also tape bills on some baits but mostly dont install the lip until after painting....prior to clearing. I just take my time and with DN's there is'nt build up on the lip or very very little. I can see where with Etex or D2 ton there could be.

Like it was said pull the tape towards the end of the bill when removing it