clemmy

Connector strength?

Not that i've ever sold anything, but I like many others hope that at some point there will be a market for my baits. So I'm wondering what the minimum strength of connector for the line tie I should use. I.E. 25# split rings or 40# etc.? Oval (Worth) or solid rings might also be a possibility(if I could find other than Owner).

I'm making balsa bass baits, but I know they might hook into the occassional Pike, Musky, Walleye or Redfish so strength is important, but I'm also trying to keep wight minimized.

Additionally, does anyone have sites that list the actual strength/test of the split rings, I find bits of it but then they usually aren't clear on manufacturer or material. Worth's site gives all the info BUT test strength.

Thanks,

Clemmy

Hi Clemmy,

Try Moore's lures. He lists the strengths of the split rings he sells. Lots of other cool components there too.

http://www.mooreslures.com/

As far as strength goes, I try to go by whatever the weakest link is. There's no real need to use a 50 lb. connector when the line tied to it will break at 10.

da Count

I've never had a fish - striper, bass or pike - pull a standard #2 split ring off a crankbait. When you're thinking about rings, consider the whole fishing system and its components. Rods are built to bend, line is built to stretch. 12 lbs of deadlift literally pull the guides off of a standard wrapped bass rod, so how much strength do you really need?

I think Bob has pretty well summed it up. The rod flex and the drag setting are the 2 factors that I would credit in this equation... I use braid for the fact that it doesn't streach. There are 2 boxes on my boat with hooks, skirts, swivles, split rings, etc., used to rebuild lure componets as they ware out or get damaged.