JBlaze

Will this work?

I was looking at some top water slap baits (ie LC Sammy) and got to wondering why I have never seen a diving crank bait with a concave curve to its back. So, I made one and replaced the front line tie with a circuit board bill. It is 1/2 in Balsa with 1/4 oz of ballast could probably use a little more ballast and maybe a little more bill. Anyone know why diving plugs do not have a concave shaped back. I will be taking it to the lake tomorrow morning 01/01/2008 to see if it will waggle, wobble, roll or do nothing. Does anyone know or care to take a guess as to what it will do? Will post the results tomorrow.

Happy New Year, John

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh72/JBlaze1952/UpsideDownLure01.jpg

John.

I look at your concept bait with right sided brain pan and, based on my gut "feel", just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling for this effort. It just goes against the flow of the natural order of things in my world. Having said that, the idea peaks my interest. Please post what happens. I admit I could be completly wrong in gut accessment.

Have a Happy New Years, you party animal (lol)

"Banana" topwater baits are shaped like that for a specific reason - it makes it easier for the bait to come out of the water and walk side to side. No reason NOT to make a banana diving bait as an experiment but I don't think the shape will offer a performance benefit.

john your bait will swim fine this type of bait was made by a guy in east tennessee by a guy named boots anderson he made a crankbait by the name of tennessee shad just about the time fred young was carving out big o s :yay: it was just like your design the reason i know this is because i collect old hand made crankbaits and i have several made in that pattern hope to see you at the show jawjacker

Thanks Rob, I thought I maybe had a brainstorm turns out its only a brain fa_t. But thats ok. If it swims, and catches a bass it will be fine. I will see you at the show. Hope your New Year starts out good.

Hey Rob, I have one of Dean Heltons older crankbaits. Must be one that I bought at a show a long time ago before I met him. If I can find it, I will bring it to the show for you to see. I also think I have one of Mike Bowers older cranks.

See Ya, John

Just got back from the lake, I was a little disappointed. It did swim and waggle but it was a very slow waggle. Probably ran about 3 ft deep. You could see the X-ing action but it was so slow, you couldn't feel the vibrations. Maybe a longer slimmer bill might speed and tighten it up some. Will channge it out some other day, its much to cold out in the garage today. Anyway, it was fun making it and it was my fourth foil job (I used the christmas gift wrap foil) so it was a good practice piece. Soon, I am going to try the Faux Foil method. I am looking forward to that.