ldzoller

Thinning Craft Paint Idea?...

I have thinned craft paint bought from Wal-mart with water in the past for use in my airbrush. The straight paint just doesn't flow as well and has a tendency to clog up the airbrush. Anyway, I was wondering, could you thin this type of paint with something like acetone? I use acetone to clean up my hands and airbrush, I love how quickly it evaporates, could it be used for thinning? Has anyone tried this or can you think of a reason not to do it? Thank you for your input and, as always, love this site!

I dont think solvents work very well on water based paints. I understand that these paints are readily available and everyone goes to WM but try Createx or Auto air.... They are fomulated specifically for air brushing and paint particles are smaller so in turn gun does not clog as easily. If you need to cut it try water or Wiindex.

The extra money spent on this and that kind of defeat the purpose of 'home remedy' paint thinners to save money, no?

Also, remember that once you add anything but water to the paint, you are atomizing whatever it is you put in the paint, which changes the need from an inexpensive filter to a carbon filter.

I have also heard that the ammonia in some Windex can wreak havoc on the plating of airbrushes, but do not have an opinion (I use it to clean only, not thin), and do not have plating coming off anything I didn't cause via stupidity.

As far as thinning, a good rule of thumb is to reduce, or thin paints down to a milk like consistancy. Remember that as you thin, you are weakening the amount of pigment, and adjust your spray accordingly.

Not with thinning epoxy, but why would you not seal with something a bit thinner that would soak into the lure to strengthen it, or even want to use the 5 minute? If it's a jointed lure, and the temps are fairly high, you probably won't be able to get a good even coating on the lure before it starts to set up, causing you to have to sand.