Joeblue28

Circuit board crankbait bills.

Circuitboard has become popular because it's thin (dives fast) and because it rebounds off cover more sharply, producing more strikes. It's been popular on shallow crankbaits for awhile but you see it more and more on deep divers where it's used to get a somewhat deeper dive. I use 1/32" G-10 circuitboard (aka Garolite, aka Micarta) or 1/16" polycarbonate (aka Lexan) for most lures. It comes in various colors, so ask before you order it.

No such thing as clear circuit board G-10 to my knowledge. It's made from a substrate fabric (often fiberglass) coated with a thermoset resin. I like the the white board from asp-rocketry.com. Mcmasters.com sells a yellow G10 and a greenish G-11 board. These are the only places I know that sell G-10 in small sizes like 12x12". Otherwise you only see full 4'x8' boards for sale. I'd check mcmasters first since they sometimes change the color of their board, and ther prices are very good. It's listed in their online store as Garolite.

Yes, a friend ordered G-10 and got several sheets of yellow plus a sheet of white. I just don't like the yellow color, it doesn't seem to match any lure paint job I've ever done. If they changed over to white, that would be nice! The problem I see with G7 is the cost: $14.77 versus $5.38 for a sq ft of G-10. The G-11 for $6.86 sq ft is an attractive light green color. I still get white from asp-rocketry.com (an amateur rocket site). Wherever you get it, check the color before you buy - suppliers and colors may change.

Moon, I use a pair of Wiss straight cut metal snips from Home Depot to cut to about 1/16" outside the lip outline, then go to the exact line with a Dremel tool chucked with a fine grit sanding drum. Same thing for Lexan lips. It's pretty fast and accurate.

Mark - sure you can paint them but I just prefer them plain.

Sox, you can buy wood blanks from several sources but you'll have to buy the lips separately and cut the lip slots yourself. On flatsided baits, that's not difficult with a bandsaw or jigsaw. On fat round baits, it can be a pain to get them straight. Janns Netcraft sells a painted plastic crankbait, the FS Medium Diver Body, which has a circuit board lip and costs $3. They also sell some precut circuit board lips. You can also find unpainted plastic bodies that have very thin plastic lips that mimic some of the effect of circuit board.

Edited by BobP

Janns Netcraft sells a painted plastic crankbait, the FS Medium Diver Body, which has a circuit board lip and costs $3.

Jann's also sells the FS Medium Diver unpainted. They come 2 to a pack and cost $4.49. With the unpainted baits, the lip is pegged to the body, not pre-glued, so it does move side to side. You either have to epoxy it to the bait yourself, or hope that your topcoat does a good enough job of holding it in place. I've painted up a few, but won't have a chance to throw them until all this snow and ice melts. These baits look very similar to an OSP HPF crank.

The first couple I painted up, I used DN's to fill the gaps when I clear coated. So far, it seems to be holding up well, but I won't really know until I get a chance to throw them. I'm going to try to epoxy one and super glue one the next time I paint them up. I'll let you know how that turns out...

The lures are actually packaged with a yellow "disclaimer" with instructions on how to secure the lip to the bait. I would ask to talk with someone else if that is the info they gave you. Ask specifically about the unpainted FS Medium Diver, that is the one with the circuit board lip.

That is the model I asked about. When did you order yours. Maybe it is something that they just started doing...I dunno??? :huh: Ill get back to ya when they come. If they arent secure then maybe you can give me pointers on how to. Thanks for the info either way!

That is the model I asked about. When did you order yours. Maybe it is something that they just started doing...I dunno??? :huh: Ill get back to ya when they come. If they arent secure then maybe you can give me pointers on how to. Thanks for the info either way!

I have ordered them twice. Once late last year, and once a few weeks ago. Each order had the yellow instruction note included in the packaging which basically said the lip comes pegged, not glued/epoxied, and the paint and/or clear coat should secure it. I wish I kept the note so I could say exactly what it said. I clear coated with DNs and the lips appear secure, but we'll see how they hold up when they are actually fished.

I bought a couple of the flat sided Jann's baits with circuit board lips and one's lip was slightly askew. It was easy to pop the lip out of the slot with finger pressure, and a no-brainer to epoxy it back in. Unless it's expensive and I'm P.O.'ed, I say FIX it and FORGET it.