Vodkaman

3d eyes

Jim. Thanks for your input. Yes, there are a lot of materials to try out. I will continue to experiment with what I have available in my local stores.

If I were a plastics user, soft plastics would be a very good solution. Using a shiny PoP mould, black blob, clear lens and white latex paint backing. This would be a very cheap, simple and effective solution.

Good work V-Man! And I apologise:

I went a little OT with my aesthetic value post, and I should have designated it as such, because it was not in keeping with the most valid work taking place; which was beginning from scratch to find a better method of creating a more flexible and therefore more versatile domed eye!

A couple of days ago I purchased a 1-part non-foaming clear urethane glue called Liquid Fusion, packaged, and contained in a two ounce squeeze bottle. Upon removing the bottle from the package, I notice there was a small, clear, flexible, cured blob lightly stuck to the outside of the bottle, As I removed it, I immediately thought of this thread, as it appears to perhaps be a good material from which to make a domed eye. The label promises, Maximum strength, Non-foaming, Non-toxic, 100% waterproof, and Fast drying, and for use on wood, metal, fabric, stone, and more. www.duncancrafts.com

I think it will work and could be quick, easy, non-messy. I like the possibility of making any size dome eye for a lure with little fuss. We'll see...I'll try it on some pre-fab flat eyes first, just check its basic cured properties, and go from there.

Dean

Having created half a tin of frogs spawn, I thought I would complete the job and mount a couple. I cast a plaster body for experimentation. I tried to glue the eyes, slightly high, just running into the back curvature, as a good test.

This thread should have been about gluing eyes, as making them is so easy compared to fitting them.

Maintaining symmetry and keeping the edges glued down and gluing fingers to the paint job is a nightmare. How do you guys do it?

I can feel a special tool design comming on.

I guess my digital dexterity needs enhancing. It's like trying to perform brain surgery with hands like a pound of pork sausages. I just need practise.

I was just wondering if anyone uses any specific technique for positioning. I have read of the technique of drilling a lateral hole through the body at the eye position, to aid alignment, here on TU.