MACHINIST

Making a presto pot stirrer?

Jim, I cut a stir paddle from an aluminum street sign I talked a Hwy Dept. guy into giving me (ran across him replacing an old one & begged for the "junk sign" lol) then drilled holes in a piece of steel shafting to bolt it to. Cut the shaft to length so the paddle would clear the bottom of the pot then used a 2 part marine epoxy putty to glue it into the motor assembly.

I'm all about cheap!!!! What did you use for your stirrer?

I have little access to tools at the new house or work. Trying to find something easy but will work...

Jim

Jim look for he post I made a while back when I listed the motor to use and had the pics up also.

just get some scrap angle iron or alum and mash it down ith a hammer. then rivet bolt or weld it to something round to connect to the motor.

you could even brase it using one of those hot cheap propane tourchs and a coat hanger or brasing rod.

What is the rpm? post some information it may be able to use a Router speed control Harbour Frieght under $20.00

if it is 1750 or 3725 rpm forget it unless you find a gear reuction

some guys on here long ago used a 80-90 rpm

Mike, I honestly don't know the rpms. Theres no spec plate on it I've had this motor for a least 15 years and got at an auction or yardsale and don't know much about it execpt that it works. JIM

The ice cream motor was a great suggestion!!! I was at the local Wally world over the weekend and they just got the ice cream makers in.

Took mine to the counter and the lady said $6. WOW!! I told her that can't be right and she re-rang it.....$6... I told her hang on and I grabbed another one for a back up.

Now I need to figure out how to attach a stirrer to the motor but for $6, I could not pass it up!!!!

What did you do to connect yours weighinalimit?? Curious....

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

Not yet as the motor has a plastic shaft. I am worried that it will just melt when a metal shaft is attached. Thinking I will just buy another motor and actually use this one to make ice cream. Only have $6 in each one I bought.

If I find a way to rig it up, I'll post it up.

Jim

Rotisserie motors are made for even horizontal loading. Even though you have a 40lb turkey on the spit, it is center-loaded, so there is very little actual eccentric load on the motor.  Anyone who has roasted anything of size knows how important it is to get the load centered.

It just has to be strong enough to get the load started rotating.

A vertical paddle stirrer is under constant heavy load, so I doubt a rotisserie motor would hold up to that kind of work load.