rofish

Pocket size drying wheel

Rofish. I think that the size and design are absolute genius. I still learn something new on TU every day and these really has my gears spinning. I have never really looked at CDs as a building material before. I can also see having several drying wheels driven off a single microwave motor using rubber belts. Thanks Rofish!

Very neat! But don't you get epoxy all over your pocket when you insert the dryer with lures attached? BTW, for guys seeking a good cheap 4 rpm AC gear motor, I can recommend a Macro Yang AC1011. Used one for several years now with no failures and it cost me around $6. They have a surprising amount of torque for a small gear motor. I wouldn't try running a bicycle wheel dryer with one but they do nicely turning a small 10" axle with 6 lure clips on it. I've seen them on Ebay as well as on the American Science & Surplus website.

Rofish, exceptional wheel, made out of bits anyone will have around the house. Innovative ideas included in a drying wheel, big and inexpensive enough for your average (small) lure builder too. I appreciate some of the difficulties you must have, especially posting this in your second language, it must have taken hours, I know some of mine do, and I am supposed to be literate in English. Great work 'rofish' .pete

BobP,

I do not insert the dryer with lures attached. The wheel stays fit on the axle of the motor. I take a lure holder, clamp the lure in it, topcoat it, then I turn off the motor (if there is another lure for drying), insert the small stick (handle) of the lure holder into the hole of one of the 4 rubber discs on the wheel, then turn on the motor again. For the first lure which I put in the dryind wheel, I have a "false" lure on the opposite rubber disc, to balance the weight on the wheel. Also, I put a false lure for the 3rd lure to dry. Or, I would better say, I will do that if I ever put 3 lures at a time to dry, but I don't think this will be the case, because I don't have more than 2 lures at once on the wheel.

When I insert the lure holder, I must keep the other hand on the wheel, opposite the lure, because the wheel is flexible, and otherwise it would flex or move.

The drying wheel has 3 parts, but I see no reason why I should not glue the linking part to the disc. What I like about this dryer, is that it is very easy to assemble or dismantle. It takes me less than a minute to stop the drying wheel and put it in a wardrobe.

Thanks to all.

One more thing to say. Meanwhile, I have managed to break the stick of a lure holder. I cut these sticks off the plastic handles of some cheap paint brushes. I liked the fact that they have a slowly decreasing diameter towards the end. Or maybe I was to lazy to think of a better material. Anyway, I should have tested the handles before gluing them in the lure holders. Now I have found out that they break easily. I have some bamboo sticks at home, which fit the diameter of the hole in the metal sheet. When sanding them, I noticed that some fibers of the wood tend to split from the wood. I solved this problem with propionate solution. 3 layers, sand, one layer, sand, and so on until I was satisfied with the result. Now it is very smooth. And I don't think this will ever break.

So if you think you will make lure holders similar to mines, pay attention to the materials you use.

The picture below shows how I keep the lure holder between my fingers when I topcoat the lure.

photo7.jpg