olskoolsoulja

One piece

The manns 10+ looks like a separate lip to me. You could pour it as one piece with polyester resin with microballoons, but this material is very brittle. The Manns 10+ looks like it will be getting down deep and consequently trying to break a few rocks. I doubt it would survive in its current shape.

If the transition from the body to the lip was smoothed out, making it more of a 1 piece with the body shape morphing into the lip shape, it might have a better chance. There are other materials for pouring that would probably be more suited to this application, but I cannot advise as I have not used them, alumilite springs to mind.

I would be vary careful here. Try a TU search in 'injector'. This system of heating plastic (325 deg F) and injecting has been discussed a lot recently. The general concensus of opinion is that it is extremely dangerous. Many have purchased the equipment and stored it in the bin, considering it too dangerous to sell to some other unsuspecting soul.

I don't see how injecting the plastic would help you anyway, unless the item you wish to cast is very complicated. Plain pouring will do the job, as the plastics guys do it.

Whether the thermoplastic is available in a rigid form, I don't know. It is bound to be, somewhere. If you go this route, you should post your findings, as you will be breaking new ground.

Good luck with your venture and keep the questions comming.

No, it's a gasoline replacement thing (so they say), it just tickled me.

Looks like a great selection of projects, pity you have to pay for them. Nothing is for free, except here on TU!

Before investing in the Eee book and construction materials, you should research the plastic materials and their forming requirements. Like I said, plain old pouring will probably be all you require.

Your right ,

I just like making things,

Is alimlite strong enough for the bibs , I can easliy make a 50psi pressure contanier for gettn rid of bubbles ( boilermaker by trade).

I know this has been discussed before .According to there site it's strong. But Its not just about function, it's about lookn cool!!!

Rich

I think you may be just slightly mistaken Vman my friend... You can you a still to cook either Ethanol or Spirits. The difference is that to produce Ethanol in the states as fuel you have get a permit, site inspections, and in the end, to convince the Federal Gov't that it isn’t going to be consumed as booze (aka: turps???), have a minimum of 5% gasoline (by volume) be added to Ethanol. That mixture is better known as E-85.

why so set against injection moulding Vodka?

I say if you have the equipment it is an easy way to reproduce many lures. if you are afraid of the temps I suggest you don't use your kitchen stove then also because it can get just as hot or hotter.

Olskool

I reccomend you use polycarbonate for your bibs its a proven method. alumalite may work, that answer I do not know tho.

Cheesehead. I have never tried injection. I just felt it my duty to pass on the message from the soft baits forum, were quite a few have tried it and have very strong opinions on the safety. Many have received burns.

I suspect many of the hard bait forum followers rarely wander into the soft plastics forum and would miss this valuable information.

When making hardbaits by injecting heated plastic you cant use a handinjector the temps are too high & you need more pressure than you can possibly get by hand. You´ll need injectors with pressurecapacity thats 10-80 tons depending on mold & what plastic you are using .

Vodka

Any task can be accomplished in a safe manner as long as you have the proper equipment. If one is using Soft Plastic injectors for attempting to mold hard plastic bodies then they should expect a burn.

I bet I'm fairly safe in assuming that many people making tackle and lures in the home shop do not follow all the proper safety practices that should be followed. Once again improper safety practices is asking for harm.