Tigger

Large casting Tuna lures?

I have a friend that is Tuna fishing in the Panama are in a month. I want to make some tuna lures for him as a gift. I have not tuna fished before. I want to suprise him and didn't want to ask any questions about the baits to tip him off.

I guess what who be the preferable features of the kind of bait? I was thinking 6" to 8" long. He casts for them with surface plugs. I know it should be a thru wire and I have to use saltwater type of hooks. They catch fish up to 100 lbs often. What makes a good casting lure? Weight wise for a long type of cast? Best colors to use? I just got a lathe and want to try it this weekend.

Thanks for any help

John

Depends on the action you want. For gliders, a sloped belly down from the eye tie for about a third of the length, and tail weighted so only the front third of the top of the bait is out of the water, but it still sits basically horizontal. Make the belly cross section more round, and don't make the overall bait too tall.

For a walk the dog action, more tail weight, so it hangs a little more vertical. Just be careful not to make it too vertical, or it is really hard to work the bait. A taller profile again makes it harder to work. Too much water resistance, and it will foul more easily.

If you want a minnow swimming action, use the same shape as above with either a bill that's almost vertical, or multi-joints. I would stick with a bill. I'd think it would be hard to come up with jointed bait hardware that would stand up to a 100 lb tuna. It would work for the first fish, but you probably never get it to the boat before the hinges failed.

Thanks Lapala for the link. I started to search other manufactures tuna lures and I am seeing similiar features.

Mark thanks that helps me going into the right direction. I have noticed that there are chugger type baits also. Almost like giant hulla poppers. I was thinking of trying something with a sloped head and would throw water up in the air a bit. Do you think that it would be to hard to work? Walk the dog types are nice to work back to the boat for sure. Less resistance. I hadn't thought about a glider. That me be something to try. I started to spin a blank. I have it rounded out, I just have to figure out a design for some late night spinning.

Would oversized eyes help in the design? Also what size or type of hooks should I use. I need to order some. I know they are saltwater hooks but what size and weight.

Thanks

John

John,

Chugger/spitter type lures usually have a cupped, concave face that traps the water when you pull it forward. I haven't made any of them but I've thrown some striper lures, like the pencil popper, that have a variation of that feature.

You might try Googling striper lures and see what they look like. It might be a good place to start.

As far as hooks go, with a 100 lb tuna, you need some 4X strong hooks, in no less than a 4/0 treble. At least that's what I would put on them. Again, go to some salt water sites and see what the people who have already invented the wheel are doing.

For me, hook size has to do with line strength and rod action. Typically, the lighter the line, the lighter the hook, or you run the risk of breaking the line on the hookset. For tuna, you will probably be using at least 20lb, and probably 30 or 40, so heavy hooks are a must, since you will be able to put enough pressure on the fish to straighten out a light gauge hook.

Tuna are a visual predator, and have great eyesight. Remember, flourocarbon leaders were first used in salt water. I'd use some big eyes. Chartruese and black.

Lots of flash. And a green anchovie scheme, with lots of silver.