outdooradvantage

Yum Crawbug MOLD

Thats a tough one, you would probably have to make that one on your own out of silicon.

Silicon will allow you to pour smaller lines like the feet and such. also the nice thing about silicon is that you can bend it to get the bait out after its poured with out ripping the bait. there are some good benifits to silicon molds and this bait would be one of them.

it would have to be a 2 piece mold also.

Oh I could make one, I already played with programming it a while ago ( before the bass trix stuff) but never cut it or even came close, just didnt think it was justifiable for hand pourers.

making it is not the problem its the pouring part that is the problem. I have a bag of them here. Crap now I can't find them( was typeing and went to look for them). these are the ones that have the tail tucked under the back part of body correct?

then the other problem lies in the cost to make it. it wouldn't be a standard 2 piece mold it would be a 3 maybe 4 piece mold with 2 of those piece's hard pinned to the 2 movable pieces. Basically you would have a standard 2 piece mold and some stuff pinned to it, would have to cut 4 separate pieces then pin one to one side and the other to the other side.

I always like a challenge to maybe I will play with it when things settle down a bit.

vodkaman

thats why sometimes its much better to use silicon. you can pour some very fine lines in silicon. Alum tends to cool the baits quickly on hand pours.

the only way it might have a chance to pour is because of the body, the large body will keep the plastic hotter for a longer time and sometimes that helps to get those tiny legs filled ( the body works kinda like an over so to speak)

both materials have there advantages and disadvantages for making molds.

IMO the crawbug works because it's hollow and wide gap hook can easily hook bass when the lure thickness is crushed. Similar to Basstrix hollow swimbaits, it would be impossible to duplicate without and injection process. If you want to try it in a one part mold, it's possible in plaster but that thick chunk of plastic would require and exposed jig hook rather than a T-rig.

For legs/ antennae, you can pull some round living rubber through side-to-side (IE the YUM craw daddy picured).

YUMcrawpappymold_livingrubberIE.jpg

So I'm a bit confused as to why you couldn't pour this in a two part mold. Claws down, pour hole via tail, and that bend in the tail would be poured last.

With the belly side only having a small amount of plastic until the tail, wouldn't it be possible?? Mad Man, can you tell us what kind of mold you were using?