b75nweav

Primer cracks or bubbles?

I had the same problem with some of my baits. They had one thing in common, lacquer under the primer. Some I sealed with clear lacquer, and they did just fine. I tried a white lacquer rattle can paint as a sealer, then primed with krylon, and the primer either split,(cracked) or fizzed in spots.Maybe something in the paint on the lures is causing it. Try a little more sanding or a thin coat of clear lacquer. Maybe this can help.

Jay

For me, cracking is from a poor bond of the primer to the bait, and bubbling is from something under the primer reacting with it.

It sounds to me like the cracking may be because you didn't get the entire bait sanded and cleaned enough for a good bond. You may not have gotten all the old paint or sanding dust off. and the primer is not able to bond to the surface there.

For the bubbling, if you wiped down the bait with a solvent after sanding, some of the solvent might still be on the bait when you prime.

Both lacquer thinner and paint thinner can leave a residue.

If you can, try wiping the sanded bait with acetone (test a small spot first to see if it melts the plastic) and let it dry before you prime. Or alcohol.

Or just blow off the sanding dust with air if you have a compressor. That's the safest way.

Think that is what it was. Sanded real good and wiped off with alcohol. Blew it dry but I dont think it was dry enough. Wiped some alcohol on my table let it dry just a sec. and sprayed with the primer and wa-la there's the bubbles. I'll be sure to dry a little better next time.