Joe

Top Coat Problem

Hi Guys, I finished eight cupped face popping style baits. These are top coated with Devcon 2. The baits look great and the finish coat had no blemishes or voids. I used two of these baits this past weekend, caught fish on them and all was going good untill I took a good look at one of the baits. The Devcon had cracked around the edge of the cup face. The rest of the bait still looked fine, but the very edge did not hold the finish. I have a pretty sharp edge on the front of these baits and I guess that is the problem. How fine an edge can you put in a bait without having to worry about this happening? Or is there a trick to getting the finish to hold at this spot? Thanks, Joe The baits were well cured before using ( 2 weeks )

Hi Joe, yes when you coat lures you have to make sure that there aren't any sharp endges as this is a weak area. All you have to do is to take some fine sandpaper and break the edge and then it will be fine. I went through the same problem sometime ago. Its a trial and error thing. Good luck. Ken Schmitz Mylures :)

Art Brush, Thanks for the help, I will go back and make those changes later today. I have a tournament this weekend coming and I will test them again at that time. I guess little set backs are a part of this game,but It's hard to put in all that time only to have something like that happen. Then you begin to second guess yourself and wonder if there was something you could have done to prevent the problem. Thanks again, Joe

Joe,

Mylures has it. Devcon will crack on sharp edges. Just take some sanpaper and just kind of round the edge alittle. One good coat of Devcon should be enough. If the baits that you made can take the extra weight of another coating then you can put a second on them. However, I would give those edges a light sanding before I would put the second coat. The cracks will still show, but the bait will be sealed from water. Scratches and such can be taken care of with a second coat of Devcon. They will dissappear. Cracks on the other hand are there to stay as far as appearance.

Skeeter