Big-D

Electroplating Spoons?

I have looked at some of Caswell's "bucket" plating kits and am wondering if anyone has used them to chrome plate lead jigging spoons or spinnerbait heads. Chrome powder paint works O.K. but it still not as bright as I would like. The search function did not reveal any answers. Thanks:)

Big-D

I used to be an electro-plater. Silver has the best reflection in water foloowed by nickel. I think chrome has very little reflection in water.

Why can't I delete to correct spelling in the reply? Thanks

I asked about the spelling, when you edit a post a little while ago. I never received an answer. Probably should ask the moderators. I too hate it when I know I mispell words, and I can't change it.

After the post is sent, you have a limited amount of time to make any corrections. Not sure what the time is, maybe about 20 mins.

When you spot the error, at the bottom right of the post are normally three icons. After a new post, there is a fourth icon called edit. Press this and your text will appear in an edit window. In this you can place the cursor, click, back space, delete and change the text to your requirements. Once happy, just send again (save). This process can be repeated many times.

Not sure, but once someone replies to your post, this facility goes away. I use this feature all the time, as I am a bit picky about typo's. If I am writing anything longer than a paragraph or two, I write the text in a word document and Copy/paste into the TU quick reply box. Word has a good spell checker I like to use.

After the post is sent, you have a limited amount of time to make any corrections. Not sure what the time is, maybe about 20 mins.

When you spot the error, at the bottom right of the post are normally three icons. After a new post, there is a fourth icon called edit. Press this and your text will appear in an edit window. In this you can place the cursor, click, back space, delete and change the text to your requirements. Once happy, just send again (save). This process can be repeated many times.

Not sure, but once someone replies to your post, this facility goes away. I use this feature all the time, as I am a bit picky about typo's. If I am writing anything longer than a paragraph or two, I write the text in a word document and Copy/paste into the TU quick reply box. Word has a good spell checker I like to use.

I have felt Vman's "picky about typo's" but take in the vain it's intended. Besides, I have a recurring vision of him somewhere on the other end of the planet slowly shacking his head, quitly saying, "Crazy Yank!" Party on Vman

You are an astute and insightful man Bruce.

I am picky about my own writing but totally unconcerned about anyone else's. Americanized spell checkers annoy me, they won't let me write ALUMINIUM!

Changing the subject back (don't want to be accused of hijacking!), plating is very do-able. A google search on the subject will reveal a wealth of information and products for the job. The problem is finding a kit small enough at the right price. If you plan to manufacture thousands of spoons, I think the price will be right. But 100 spoons, forget it.

There was a post some time ago that someone found a very good spray that worked. The secret was to spray onto black. Try a search on chrome.

Thanks for all the info. I am only talking a couple hundred spoons for personal use and Caswell Plating said that their extreme chrome with a clearcoat is my best option. I am currently using the extreme chrome powder, but I guess I need to clearcoat to keep those tose things from getting dull.

Next question... powder clearcoat or epoxy? I have not played with either.

P.S. It drives me nuts to see words mispelled in my own posts too!

-D

... Now, what about the topcoat?

-D

No question: Use the Caswell clear as a topcoat. It offers the best bond to the extreme chrome powdercoat, and is very tough.

Beyond chrome, you might consider powdercoating a few spoons with their pearl white powder. It's very bright in the water under any conditions, but has the soft, pearly color of a real baitfish. Chrome-- real or powdercoat-- doesn't have the same 'brightness' on cloudy days, or in dark or deep water.

I've coated jigs with chrome on one side, and pearl white on the other-- and that color combo gets bit very well. Would be a good color combo for spoons too. Good luck!