smirkplug

Painting V.M.C. 4x bulk hooks red

Hi, everybody. Im caught in that red hook mania but i still have over 5000 various size 2/0--9/0 V.M.C. 4x saltwater hooks in stock. Does anybody have suggestions on painting or dying them red ? A friend at Tady lures told me they basically laquer the red on most red hooks, if thats true should i dip or spray them, and what about priming and or loosing the sharpness by adding a paint over the barb ? Im not looking for a super long lasting difficult process just maybe not wearing off or chipping too bad in a few days of hard fishing. All recommendations, and experences will be very helpful.

Spike-it makes a blade dip that can also be used on hooks. Jannsnetcraft has it. It's fairly durable but will come off. But all you have to do is dip it again. One bottle should do hundreds, maybe thousands. I've used it on metal lips and hooks, and it's tougher if you let it cure a day or so.You could probably put a thin clearcoat on it but I would test it on one first.

Jay

I've used Spikeit and it works. No clear coat. Silver hooks come out bright red, bronze nichol hooks come out a really dark, almost not worth doing, red.

The dip is thin enough that it doesn't make the hooks duller, and it does come off relatively easily, so, on a hit by a fish, I think the hood set will push any dip off the point. At least, I've not had a problem with it.