BigFishin

Success

That is too cool.....I know the feeling! I crafted my first big, 3 piece jointed wake bait, and nailed 7.5#er & and a 3.5#er while testing it out while it was still primered all white. I thought....wow, I got a winner!!!!

Well...Murphy strikes....I completed the paint & finish.....and guess what?....havn't caught one on it since. Probably has nothing to do with the color or action, more to do with timing and the bite at the time, but it's aweful hard to tell when your judging by 1-2 bites/day...........nemensis of big bait makers...@#%^&*@*@(*&

I'd probably get much better speed and mileage from my aluminum boat if I took off all the lures I bought because "they were beautiful and just had to catch fish", and only took the ones that actually do work.

Reaction lures need to give enough of the impression of real forage to not put the bass off. The action should attract them and trigger the strike, and the color should reinforce the idea that this is a prey item.

If you're making suspending baits, or floating swim baits that you dead stick, in clear water, detail becomes much more important. But, even there, because of their naturally curious nature, bass will move up and examine any lure that has a bait fish/prey profile. If you twitch or jerk it after a long pause, many times they strike it out of instinct, thinking the prey is escaping. That's why it's called a reaction bite.

Having said that, I've thrown a DT16 in a shad pattern and caught half a dozen bass off a point, and then, when the bite died, switched to the same crank in a bleeding shad color, and caught a few more.

Go figure. I guess the fish do get conditioned, short term, to one color, or maybe it's just that the second group of fish preferred their shad with blood. :o)

Billy Westmorland( yeah I know some of you younger guys are saying...Who ??? :lolhuh:) all colors catch fish as long as they're brown or black. Maybe it holds true in cranks also.

It would sure save a lot of time and money. ;)

Hey Cuz,

Billy liked all of his Buddys to be Silver though, and I also know he was awfully fond of a green and orange Bass Magnet (crawfish crankbait).

:whistle:

In my experience, I have found that I can be throwing a white swim bait all day and just burning calories. Switch to a chartreuse and start killing them. I go back the next day and throw the chartreuse and nothing, switch back to white and hammer them. I once fished all day with a friend on his boat where he caugth about 7 fish and I was skunked. The only diference in our baits was that I had a stranded weed gaurd on my lead head. I clipped off the gaurd, and bam....first cast I get one. I also think that scales and other patterns are important in clear water, not so much in murky water.

This is just my experinces and oppinions......I could be wrong......my wife tends to think I am wrong most of the time...lol

Nice job on catching a fish on your first bait! I hooked one before first ice, but one of the hooks snapped off the treble I had taken form my grandpa's tacklebox. Oh well, the waters almost soft again and I'll be trying it soon.

As far as color goes, the only thing anybody needs to do to prove its important is try ice fishing. There have been days where I have tried every color besides the color my friend is catching stuff on and not gotten a single bite. The minute I give in and switch to that color (its usually pink) I start getting bites. Im sure a lot of it is for the fisherman's benefit, but I know I wouldn't trade any of the bluegill or firetiger cranks in my box for anything brown or black.