Kribman

Airbrush troubles

I tried to skimp out on compressor/gun, and I think I may have paid the price. My compressor, I know its bad, is a Powercat airbrush rated up to 30 lbs. that I got on Ebay for $45. I also bought a Paasche single action with three needles. I was using my black createx that I watered down a tin a bit, just to do the practice exercises that came with the brush. I can make good dots, but when i try to make lines, they start out strong for the few few, and then get very weak. Sometimes the paint is hardly coming out. When I look at the pressure gauge while the brush is spraying, and it goes down to 10 or so. Is this bad? Also, I can feel an air leak at the junction between the hose and the gun. Is this bad? Are these problems stemming from the cheap compressor, the brush, the hose connection, or the paint mixture? Don't be afraid to tell me to buy new gear or give suggestions for an inexpensive, but still quality, setup! Thanks,

-Kribman

Kribman- Probably all of these are the problem, but fix the leak with some teflon plumbers tape for a start. The fix for the "line drop" to 10 lbs is to hook the compressor to a small reservoir, so you have some air storage capacity. I don't know how mechanical you are but a small gas cylender will do, just remove the valve (after SLOWLY draining in a well ventilated area) and get a threaded 'T" junction- air in one side, then into the cylender, then out to the brush at the other side of the T junction. If you have not got a gas cyl a large PET 'POP' bottle will do, at these low pressures (30lb), I think a PET Coke bottle will take 300lb (maybe 3000) I forget now , so you are well within the range. Also check the bore of your airline to the brush- if it is about 1/16", chuck it and get something with a bigger bore (1/8"), your brush could be starving for air. pete

Actually, I get a little quick on the trigger with new stuff myself at times, just wanting to see if something is going to work like you think it will. I had a simular problem happen to an old fender the day I got to try a plazma cutter... I had no idea my little brother was even thinking about using it for something, that was FUN.

You should look into some better equipment if your gonna be in this for the long haul. If not you might get discouraged and give up. I had a Paschaa airbrush to start and it drove me nuts. I got a better gun and I couldn't be happier. I havent used a single action but I have seen them and they look like a pain in the ass.

My set up is fairly cheap but works well. I bought a compresor with a 2 gallon tank at Walmart for $70 and a Iwata eclipse gun for $110. I'm hopeing once I get painting to make a Few $$$ I can spring for a new compressor. The one I have is noisey as all hell. I bought some plywood and made a box to cover and silence it. It cuts the noise in half.

I started buying new equipment last October and I still haven't started painting yet. I'm on a fixed income and money is extreemly tight so I just buy stuff here and there when I can afford it. So far I have about $600 invested.

I try not to go cheap unless there is no other option. The way I see it is the better equipment I have the better the job I can do.

First things first, fix that air leak like Pete said, with some Teflon tape. An experienced painter with this gun could paint a zillion beautiful baits, after getting the pressure thing straightened out, so don't think you can't paint with that Paache. I don't thin any Createx, not even the Pearls, but I have plenty of pressure available...any correct set-up should shoot Createx black without thinning.

Dean

I was worried that I thinned the paint too much... and to the equipment, I realized last night that trying to get the equipment quick and cheap just to get going will probably be more expensive in the long run. One of the only resources for crafts in my area is a small hobby shop and they have probably had that gun in there for 10 years w/o thinking about lowering the price. I guess I will suffer through what I have now until i can save up enough for some nicer stuff. Thanks

-Kribman

Most cheap compressors that advertise "30 lbs" pressure actually work at about 15 lbs a second or two after you pull the trigger - believe me, I know! But 15 lbs should shoot properly thinned paint OK, you just have more options with more pressure. Like Dean said, fix any leaks and you should be able to get'er done. Black Createx is already one of the thinnest airbrush paints right out of the bottle. Try shooting it unthinned. Your paint should be the consistency of milk. If you thin it too much, it will fail to adhere and puddle up on the bait (like water).