CreekMonster

Dick Nite Curing

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any curing problems with Dick Nite clearcoat? I sealed with clear lacquer, Let cure for 5 days, primed, let cure for 4 days, painted, let cure for 7 days, dipped in unthinned Dick Nite, let dry for 24 hrs, then dipped again. the lures have been curing now for 2 weeks and a few(not all) of them still have soft spots in the clearcoat. Was wondering if this has happened to anybody else?

Jay

Creekmonster, I've never experienced DN not curing completely, if that's what you're describing. Is the soft spot below the DN in one of the other layers? Are you curing in a relatively normal and stable temperature and humidity range? Is there an air bubble beneath your paint that is sealed in?

ya got me so far,

Dean

I've not had the problem either and suspect the DN solvent may be reacting with either your lacquer sealer or the unspecified primer, causing one of them to soften. I suggest sealing with epoxy/acetone 50/50 and using an acrylic latex primer (I just shoot white over the sealer). It would significantly reduce your build time too. I'm usually finished 24 hrs after I seal the bait.

I am using Watco clear lacquer to seal, in this case I let it cure 5 days inside. Temp about 70 degrees F. The primer is krylon, doesn't specify type, but it says No runs, No drips, No errors, on the can (ha, ha) supposidly dries in twelve minutes.( contains acetone, toluene,petroleum distillates, and 2- methyl-1-propanol) it dried for 4 days in the same place.finally the polytranspar. I actually left a fingerprint in the topcoat and it is rubbery in a couple of places, kinda reminds me of epoxy when you don't mix it quite right. I am by NO means knocking the Dick Nites, I LOVE the stuff!! Just can't figure it out. Could be its not humid enough in the house, winter is kinda dry down here in Alabama.I'll let em cure another week or so and let yall know what's happening. And also, would the acrylic primer mentioned react with the lacquer polytranspar paint?

Thanks, Jay

I know that acrylic polytranspar reacted with DN, i don't know about the lacquer; but I am 100% sure that there is an incompatibility issue here somewhere; everything you're using contains solvents, not the least of which is the Krylon. It is not a humidity issue. One of the sovents is messing with the DN, whose catalyzing solvent normally does its burn-in and set-up work in about 20 minutes, and is gone in 2 or 3 hours, after which it is a humidity cure. One or more of the other solvents is playing havoc with this process. If some bait don't have any problem, try to figure out what the difference is. After that, it becomes a process of changing products one at a time, or finding a relative who is a chemist. Good Luck!!

Dean

That's what is so confusing, I painted 5 baits exactly the same, identical, and 3 out of 5 are the problem. I appreciate the help and advice all yall have given me on this subject. Maybe its just me. Anyway, its really not that big a deal considering I'll be the one fishing with them. I don't think the fish will mind at all.:) the next next few I do I'll be sure to pay much closer attention during the painting process and maybe figure out what I did wrong. Thanks everyone

Jay