clemmy

Attaching 3d molded eyes?

I'm not really sold on adding 3d eyes to my hardbaits, as more expense, more time, more difficult to keep on, etc.

But they do LOOK cool.

How are you guys attaching them securely? I'm currently using zap a gap as it's handy. I know epoxy would be stronger, but I don't want to have to mix a seperate batch just for eyes. I epoxy over them, but as they are slightly soft I'm woried about long term adhesion. My best idea I've come up with is to have a bunch of baits painted, and use the leftover devcon from clearcoating to attatch some eyes, then clearcoat them, use leftover to attach...etc.

Anyone have any ideas/tips/tricks?

Thanks,

Clemmy

I am brand new to the game, so keep that in mind....

I paint everything and give it a coat of epoxy, and allow it to cure. I then add my eyes with a bit of Fishin Glue, or Pro's softbait glue and allow that to set for a minute or two. Then I give the entire bait another coat of epoxy, but I could just coat the head. I have tried to "dig" the eyes out of a jerkbait, and they arn't going anywhere.

I use adhesive backed 3D eyes from Stamina or Jann's and set them in eye sockets cut with a Dremel and a cylindrical wood carving bit. No glue, just stick them in after painting and epoxy or DN over them with clearcoat. Never had one come out. If you don't use a socket, the eyes are stiff enough to lift up on the edges when applied to a curved surface. Besides, I just prefer the inset look.