jimmie7915

making baits

Hello again guys I was wandering if anyone could point me in the right direction on where I can get the hardware to make my own lures.I need the stainlesss thru wiring.screw eyes etc.And also what kind of pins do you guys use on the swimbaits.From the pictures it looks like two screw eyes up front going around a pin shooting straight down the second half.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Also I am trying to do some small and large baits so what sizes do I need?

Thanks again,

Jimmie

Jimmie, I'm kinda new at this also, but think I can give you answer to a couple of your questions. As far as pins on the hinges I have started using bicycle spokes. They are stainless and strong. By being as large as they are I am able to use a larger drill bit than I was using spinnerbait wire. This has enabled me to get a straighter hole. The small bit I had to use for the spinnerbait wire would hit a dense spot in wood and wander. Using the larger bit has eleminated this problem. As far as stainless thru wire harnesses, I use coils of stainless that I get at Ace Hardware. This wire is flexible enough to work with, glues in well and is as strong as any wire you can use. I use this mainly in my balsa crankbaits. Never had one malfunction yet. Hope I didn't just jinx myself :lol:. Hope this helps

David

I guess the choice has to do with "the look" you prefer and/or your woodworking skills (mine are sorely limited!). So I use a simple hinge of 2 stainless hand-twisted screw eyes made one inside the other. Easy to make up in 5 minutes and you can choose the wire diameter and size the screw eyes as you like, then recess the screws to the exact depth needed to control the gap between segments. I use 2 hinges on each segment. It makes a very strong and free moving connection. If you slightly slope the top of the segment cuts toward the tail of the bait, it hides the gaps to any following predator. You can make one of the hinges part of the bait's thru-wire structure if you're working with soft wood.