338muskie

Lure Lip action

I'm makeing some 9 inch muskie size lures for trolling. I want them to have a swimming action side to side at 4. to 4.5 mpr. Wide side visible movement. What type of lip would do this? Short wide, long narrow or the placement of the line tow? I don't want it to dive to deep eather stay in the top 6 ft owater.

Thanks.

If you want a shallow wide swimmer, a short wide lip set at 45+ degrees down angle with the line tie in the nose of the bait just over the lip is often the ticket. But getting it to swim "just right" at a particular speed requires experimentation on the water. I'd start out with the lip a bit longer and wider than you think will be needed, then use a battery powered Dremel with a fine sanding drum attached to sand it down gradually until you hit the sweet spot. Absolute shape and size? Take a look at some commercial musky baits whose action you like and start from there.

338muskie,

We make musky trolling baits, 6, 7, 8 and 10 inchers. For the shallow ones (4 to 7 ft) We use a 1/8" thick lexan square lip that is 1 1/2" long and 1 1/8" wide at the end with a 5/8" base for the 6 and 7 inch baits. For the 8 and 10 inch ones we use a 1/8" thick lexan square lip that is 2 3/8" long and 1 3/8" wide on the end with a 7/8" base. For all the shallow baits lip angle is 40 degrees. Here is a pic of the style....These will troll over 6 mph without blow out.

IMG_1702.jpg