Sanding or Overcoating?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BAssKickin

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

What is the consensus regarding sanding painted baits or using a white overcoating to cover the manufactures paint job? Sanding seems to be way to time consuming. If overcoating is the way to go; what is the best paint to use? I tried Krylon and really do like it...seemed tacky even after 12 hours of drying. Any suggestions? THANKS!!!

#2 dampeoples

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

You NEED to sand, at least enough to offer the paint something to adhere to. Knock the shine down until there is no buff left.

#3 rlcam

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

Are you using Fusion.Fatfingers recomended it and I have tried it and it has dried fairly quick for me.I have started repainting some older factory lures and thats what I start with,after lightly sanding...Robert

#4 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Dampeoples is right. You need to sand to provide a mechanical bond of the paint to the lure. If you use a paint with solvent that "melts" into the lure, you have to be careful that all the solvent is gone before you continue painting.
For me, that's too much trouble.
I use water based paints, with an Envirtex Lite clear coat, and never have any problems with paint bond failing.
I sand, then, if I'm using solid colors, I coat with Createx opaque white as an under coat, and then paint.
If I have a lure that's transparent with painted areas that I want to repaint, I sand the painted areas, and then repaint over them. I don't worry too much about accidentally scuffing the clear areas. The topcoat will make them clear again.
I've actually removed the paint from painted/clear lures with a scale-scored surface, so only the paint in the score lines remains, and then used that as a base and painted over them with transparent colors.
Makes for some neat lures.