markc

first time painting question

I finally got my airbrush set up and was able to spray some paint for the first time tonight:yay:

I started out spraying lines, dots, squares, etc... on a piece of cardboard with several different createx paints. I played with pressure, and the distance of the brush from what I was painting. After playing for a while I sprayed a coat of paint on a junk lure, and now have a question.

If I start with a plastic bait that already has a white base coat, and wanted to paint the whole thing completely black (or red, green, blue etc,), how many coats of paint should it take before there is no bleed through(I didn't thin my paint)? How long do you wait between coats, or different colors? I've read about using a hairdryer to speed the process up, but are we talking 30 seconds with a hair dryer or 5 minutes?

The reason I am asking is because when I applied enough paint to cover I started getting runs. If I kept things really thin I was geting pretty good results, but it will probably take 5 or 10 coats to become a solid color.

If this has already been posted a thousand times I apologize. I have been reading here for months, and have searched, but not really found an answer to this question.

Thanks,

Mark

For unthinned Createx, one spray coat usually provides sufficient coverage. If you have runs, you're applying it too thick. Keep the brush moving. Shoot a thin even coat then gently dry it with a hair dryer (careful, you can push paint around or the paint can crack if you hit it too hot, too fast). Drying takes maybe a minute. Then take a critical look and hit any spots that need more paint to get an coating with an even color value all over. Then dry it again and shoot the next color. When all the paint is on and dry, hit it with the dryer on high for a minute or two to make sure the paint is heat set. If you look at the surface of wet paint so a light reflects off it while drying, you'll see the shine disappearing as the water evaporates.