kingfish_ok

crankbait bills

You'll get different answers depending on who you talk to. Some will say carve the bait first, then carefully saw out the slot for the lip. Others, myself included, prefer to cut the slot first.

Why?

If the slot isn't perfectly perpendicular (lip angle to body side...regardless of attack or dive angle) the lure will tend to swim off to one side. No amount of tuning the eye screw will ever correct it.

I make BIG muskie baits and so I use a table saw to cut the dive slot. The blade is 1/8" and so is my lexan...rather nice! Whatever you choose just be sure that the lip isn't angled to one side or the bait won't work right.

kingfish_ok,

The best way that I have found is to trace the bait out on to the wood. Then draw the lines for your slot. Cut the slot first and then cut out the shape of the bait. Since the wood is flat and square, and assuming that the platten is square to your sawblade, the slot will be cut square and level.

Skeeter

Guest Anonymous

I always cut my lip slots while a still have a flat piece of wood. I also double check my blade with a 90 degree triangle on my bandsaw blade to ensure that it is square to the saw table.

I have to make a couple passes into the wood with the saw blade. I have just developed an eye for taking the right amount of wood out for the lip.

Take Care!

I agree with the rest. I cut my lip slot while I still have a flat side to work with as this helps keep the lip slot square. However, I go one step further. I don't worry so much about getting the exact size for the lip with the saw. Once I cut the slot on my saw I use a diamond bit (which looks like a very small drum sander) in my Dremel to size the slot perfectly. If your lip is 1/8th in thick, just use the 1/8 diamond bit and run it through the slot. The bit will follow right along in the slot. No wandering off track. The final cut makes a nice snug fit. Same size every time. And it's takes less than a minute to do.

Gene

Out2llunge,

The diamond bits are not true Dremel bits. They are made by several other manufacturers and come in different syles, sizes, and shaft sizes and are almost indestructable. The bits that I use for the lip slot look like the ones in the picture below. You can find them at flea markets sometimes as individual bits for around $2.00 a piece. Harbor Freight sells a set of 20 assorted bits for $6.99 (item # 40547-1VGA). If you need more information, just ask and I'll see what I can do for you.

Gene