Theflyingplatypus

Crawdad swimbait

27 posts in this topic

I was just inspired to make a crayfish swimbait. Has anyone done this before? I would think it would'nt be to hard, just multi hinge the tail and use like powder coated brass or ss to make plates to scew on to the top of the tail to protect if from rocks. What do you guys think? should I give it a whirl?

I how wonder if you can keep it light enough to produce the crayfish scoot. Do you plan on using the metalic sound of the bait hitting rocks to get fish to stirke? Would this be a wood and metal combo? Let's get this flushed out a bit, it could be a great bait if a few details are worked out.

I posted that with only thinking about it for about five minutes. Now I have the thought that polycarbonate would work as rock guards. For weighting I was thinking that if you place alot of the weight in the lowest section of the abdomen(tail) that when useing a jerk pause retrieve it would cause the tail to relax then curl in again sharply like it was swimming. It would have to be a sinking bait of course to truly imitate a crayfish. Give me a day or two and I will have this thing drawn out.

What material do you guys think I should use for the tail segments? I was thinking about useing polycarbonate for the paddle tail but don't really know what to use for the tail body. I'm also thinking that the claws should be made of some boyant material like balsa so that the float above the head like a defensive crayfish.

Didn't Bill Dance sell one back in the 80's. It was in the same family of the "Dancin EEL". It had a metal frame, plastic lip, the body was soft plastic, and it had one treble hook on its belly.

Ken Huddleston, of Huddleston Swimbait fame, has a soft plastic craw lure that's tail weighted, and pulled from the front, so the claws are in front. It's call the Hud Bug.

Great finesse bait. Totally realistic. A tightly bent V shaped stainless steel wire has a small weight on each end of the wire, and then the wire passes through the craw body from back to front, and comes out at the head, where a small circle or wackey hook is slipped through the bend in the wire. Casts great, catches fish.

You can see a picture on the Huddleston website, or Tacklewarehouse.

I got bored one day and carved one out of balsa. I carved the claws separately and and added the to the body with a piano wire hinge system.Most of the weight is in the tail with just a small amount in the claws to help keep them pointing slightly forward while the body stands straight up. used rubber skirt material for antennas. haven't even sealed it yet but hope to fish it around beds this spring.

Here are the diagrams. They would be hard to chase down later on when searching the gallery.

This one will be a fun one to make.

These diagrams were drawn by Theflyngplatypus.

file.php?n=1845&w=l

file.php?n=1844&w=l

I did a jointed crayfish a couple month's ago and it turned out O.K. for a prototype, look's similar to your idea.

Douglas

IMG_137.jpg

IMG_137.jpg

IMG_137.jpg

IMG_137.jpg

IMG_137.jpg

IMG_137.jpg

IMG_137.jpg

IMG_137.jpg

2550_thumb.attach

Beautiful bait. Great job.

Did you extend the hook hanger on the back to keep it away from the claws?

That is exactly the reason for the extension. I might also add that this lure is through wired with 7 strand wire from the line tie to the aft hook.

Douglas

Here's a photo

IMG_135.jpg

IMG_135.jpg

IMG_135.jpg

IMG_135.jpg

IMG_135.jpg

IMG_135.jpg

IMG_135.jpg

IMG_135.jpg

2551_thumb.attach

i think this is the type of joint system you're seeking...

1064475122755_11111crayfish_winner1.JPG

sry for the small pic, ^note how the tail curves nicely^

can't locate the site i took it from but i guess it was made by a guy named "Tim C."