Theflyingplatypus

Crawdad swimbait

I posted that with only thinking about it for about five minutes. Now I have the thought that polycarbonate would work as rock guards. For weighting I was thinking that if you place alot of the weight in the lowest section of the abdomen(tail) that when useing a jerk pause retrieve it would cause the tail to relax then curl in again sharply like it was swimming. It would have to be a sinking bait of course to truly imitate a crayfish. Give me a day or two and I will have this thing drawn out.

What material do you guys think I should use for the tail segments? I was thinking about useing polycarbonate for the paddle tail but don't really know what to use for the tail body. I'm also thinking that the claws should be made of some boyant material like balsa so that the float above the head like a defensive crayfish.

Ken Huddleston, of Huddleston Swimbait fame, has a soft plastic craw lure that's tail weighted, and pulled from the front, so the claws are in front. It's call the Hud Bug.

Great finesse bait. Totally realistic. A tightly bent V shaped stainless steel wire has a small weight on each end of the wire, and then the wire passes through the craw body from back to front, and comes out at the head, where a small circle or wackey hook is slipped through the bend in the wire. Casts great, catches fish.

You can see a picture on the Huddleston website, or Tacklewarehouse.

I got bored one day and carved one out of balsa. I carved the claws separately and and added the to the body with a piano wire hinge system.Most of the weight is in the tail with just a small amount in the claws to help keep them pointing slightly forward while the body stands straight up. used rubber skirt material for antennas. haven't even sealed it yet but hope to fish it around beds this spring.