• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kribman

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi, everyone.

I'm on my way and have about ten lures done, and I just realized, what if my sealing techniques aren't as good as they could be. After I dremel and sand to my desired shape, usually maple or red oak, I dip the lure in polyurethane wood stain/sealer, sand, repeat, and then use a spray on model sealer/lacquer/primer. Then I paint and after it is dry, I have one of those two bottle epoxy hard coat mix bottles. I just mix those and brush on one thick layer. Is this enough? nother layer? thanks a bunch

#2 pikeman

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:57 AM

here's what I use...devcon2ton mixed with thiner 1 or 2 layers (usually 1 layer is enough) or 2-3 coats of propionate pellets dissolved in acetone or thiner , both methods are for sealing the wood, after that I sand and paint. As for the topcoat 1-2 layers of epoxy or 5-6 dippings in propionate+acetone ( you got to pay attention if you use rattle can paints ).
here you have a short description about the propionate:

P.S. you may obtain a whitening effect cause of the air humidity (if you use propionate as topcoat) you can solve it by dipping the lure in pure acetone