pastorshane

Soft topwater frog question

Hey Shane... I have done a ton of frog fishing and they all end up flipping. Usually, it is because the bait is not flat or rigged in a straight line. As the bait slips or the hook moves, the bait bends and will run upside down because that is where the resistance is.

You can add a little lead tape on the hook up near the front to help OR put a nice faceted bead on your line to help stop the nose of the bait from getting beat up so bad and moving the bait on the hook. I have also used a punch out from a butter lid on my hook on the underside of the frog to keep the bait in the right place and not slipping down on the hook.

Keep throwing them though as they will get you some GREAT fish!! (29+lbs in a tourney last year)!!!

Jim

PS Goes for the paddle tail frogs..not the horny toads. They dont flip much because they give little resistance in the water from the legs!!

Sinbad, yes I am rigging it like the top picture. I am thinking of running the hook down through the legs and hook in the rear of the bait.

Jim, thanks for the advise, I still catch lots of fish on them, I just wish they ran up rite more. I'll try the centered hook to, I do use a bead on the nose some but don't know if it helped or not. I'll try it in the morning on our little pond as well. I'll let you guy's know.

Thanks for the responces.

Shane

I was putting a small piece of plastic worm on the hook before I rigged the back, and then pushing it tight to the underside of the frog after rigging to give the frog a sway back rigging. That kept it from flipping 100 percent of the time. My partner gave me a plastic bobber stopper to try, and it works even better. Just thread it onto the hook before you rig the rear portion, and push it back against the frog until it has a slight sway back. It also helps increase the leg action.

I'd rather not use a weighted hook if I can help it. The Ribbit Bull Frog is heavy enough by itself, even in the wind. I will use a weight if I'm fishing the smaller Ribbit, and it's windy, or the water is super clear and I need longer casts. But, generally, I can throw both weightless with 50lb braid.

I use something like the blue part of the bobber stoppers Dinkmaster posted.

After I screw my hitchhiker into the ribbit, and clip it onto the hook eye, I slip the bobber stopper onto the point, and push it around until it's just past the bend. Then I texpose the hook through the ribbit's bottom, and push the bobber stopper back down around the bend until it snugs up against the underside of the ribbits bottom. I push it up until the ribbit has a sway back a little. That seems to force the nose up so it swims right side up without adding any weight, and it also makes the legs a little more active, since they're forced up as well.

When I use weighted hooks, I use 4/0 and 5/0 weighted hooks by Falcon. They were the first to offer weighted hooks that size. Now a lot of hook manufs. offer them.

I'd type "weighted hooks" into the search feature at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and Tacklewarehouse.com, and see what each site has.