magicstick

Help i just ruined another one!

One tip I'll give you is make your baits a little longer than you want the finished lure. Then you can reshape the cut surfaces as you need.

Someone on this site (sorry, I can't remember who, or I'd bow to them in praise) suggested not cutting all the way through the joints when you initially cut them, so you can make the cuts before shaping, and still have a single pieced bait to shape. I found, with pine, fir, and poplar, that this method is great. And I can reshape the "male" section, the pointy end with the hinge hole, after I separate the parts wit a dovetail saw. I make the hinge hole a little farther from the "female" section than I want in the finish, and then sand the male section to a more pointy shape, with the hinge hole a little closer to the final surface, to give my lures more room to wiggle.

I make larger baits where all this cutting, drilling, and sanding is easier. I wouldn't have a clue about small, jointed cranks. I think for them I'd use back to back screw eyes, and just call it a day.

Yeah wow thanks for the ideas guys. thats some good stuff, not completely cutting the joints, first! Why diddnt i think of that. i can stop throwing wood against wall now!

That's why you need to do lots of searches here and ask any questions you can't find answers for before trying. So much on here to be learned.