B BUG

lip angle

Hey all, I know the importance of lip angle and what it does as far as diving depths. However I have made nothing but shallow divers up until now. Today after making a bait in the shape that I wanted, I noticed that when I put the lip in it was pointing slightly upwards. Now I have never seen a bait with a lip set in this manner and I was wondering If it will work at all. It seems like it might make it dig deeper if it will run ok. Any try this or should I give it a try? Les

Hey all, I know the importance of lip angle and what it does as far as diving depths. However I have made nothing but shallow divers up until now. Today after making a bait in the shape that I wanted, I noticed that when I put the lip in it was pointing slightly upwards. Now I have never seen a bait with a lip set in this manner and I was wondering If it will work at all. It seems like it might make it dig deeper if it will run ok. Any try this or should I give it a try? Les

Give it a shot. As much as some of the guys can guess what a lure is going to do, the only sure way is to throw it. I'd think as long as the lip is at a downward angle at rest in the water, it'll dive. As far as the action, your guess is as good as mine. It may be very unstable, it may not even dive. Just go try it out.

Les

The best thing to do in this weather like we are having is to put it in the bathtub and give it a try.. I went to the River Yesterday and like to have froze testing a few .. 8 degrees . Lip angle, line tie point and weight is going to be the key with any of your baits...Let me know how it runs.... I foiled a new one and E Tex it , I'll send you a email with the picture.. Have seven on the turner right now using Dick's - Great Stuff...

Let us know how it runs ...:)

Boone

Vodkaman I agree however, I have several factors that make the timeframe of anytime sooner almost impossible. First the weather. Right now I am looking at about 3 inches of snow and the temps. are not going to make it go away soon. The other is all about timeing. I have a two year old that keeps me hopping (I am sort of a Mr. Mom) and the only time I get to do any bait work (or this) is when he is taking his nap. The problem is that I can do everything except paint when he is sleeping, because all the other things can be put aside if he upexpectedly wakes up. I don't risk clogging my air brush because when he wakes up it is "SHOW TIME". With that said there is the occasional day when he goes to day care and I do not have something else planned that I might get some baits painted. Hopefully one will come along soon. When it does I will get some baits finished and post them for some feedback. Until then, THANKS AGAIN Les