Muskyman

How to affix a spring coil to a 1/2 body bait???

Hi Folks!

Can anyone tell me what kind of spring coil is used to affix to a 1/2 body bait like a home made Bull Dawg, meaning a 1/2 wood body with a coil attached to it holding a Kalins Big'n grub. Where can I get a coil for this, how to affix it to the wood 1/2 of the bait & keep it screwed into a Big'n Grub.

Thanks all- The Muskyman

The hitch hikers I've seen have a coil that's only about 1/8" dia. That may be small for a musky bait but it would work. You might find a larger coil if you look at jig pouring suppliers, otherwise I'd try wrapping one from .029-.031 stainless steel wire using a bolt as an armature. Epoxy it into the wood body. Maybe someone knows a source for larger ss wire coils?

I was thinking that maybe an actual screw might be worth trying. A large course threaded stainless steel sheet matal screw countersunk into a wooden body. Use a couple drops of super glue to keep it from backing off. Might be worth trying. The plastic tail might get replaced any time a musky hit it unless you could rig it with a hook and keeper. Thanks guys, another problem to solve...

I did a thru-wire version of the Bull-dawg bait. From the front nose loop, the 1/16" wire went thru a swivel in the belly of the bait and was epoxied in the at the tail. Twisted it on a bolt to get the spring look and threaded the soft tail on. I really didnt need fish-n-glue but I put some on anyway. Fished is some in heavy weeds and had no issues with pull offs.

jerk

Muskyman

Here is how I have been doing mine. I have cought several fish without any problems & no super glue.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/photos/index.php?n=1375

Bruce, that is a very clean looking coil. Did you make it or can you say where they come from?

Spike a Pike, I have indeed used a decking screw with head removed and epoxied backwards into the bait. Have found that this can alter action due to extra weight of screw. Just my .02

David

Muskyman

Here is how I have been doing mine. I have cought several fish without any problems & no super glue.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/photos/index.php?n=1375

BruceKY, the way you did yours is exactly what I want to do...where did you find that kind of coil & how can I get one & how was it affixed to your wood bait?

Thanks-The Muskyman

Thanks for the positive feedback. Here is an old post on the same subject.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10934

"I made my own using stainless steel wire. Not something you will want to make hundreds of. Kind of hard to describe exactly how I do it, but I will try. It is easier than it sounds, especially with smaller gauge wire.

I wrap the wire around the last four or five threads on a bolt. Use a smaller bolt than the coil you want to make because it will spring out some. Take the coil off of the bolt and hold it with round nose pliers right up the center of the coil then continue bending the tag end of the wire to center. Next bend the tag end at the center of the coil so that it sticks strait out the central axis of the coil. Finish by making a hook shaped bend on the Tag end of the wire. Trim each end with wire cutters or a cut-off wheel on a dremel tool for thick wire.

I use my dremel tool with a 1/16 bit to make two holes in the tail of the lure right next to each other then carefully remove the material between them to make a slot for the “hitch hiker”. Glue it in with epoxy."

Try to find wire that is soft not spring tempered. It will make things a lot easier. Bicycle spokes are good for this.

I will try to post a picture of just the coil tomorrow.