CSG

Dick Nites ?

I just received my first batch of DN and I am trying it on some lipless crankbaits. My question is how many coats do you recommend? I painted the baits, flash dried them, then put a gloss top coat on them. When all of that was fully dried, I dipped it. The finish is great but it seems a little thin. Thanks in advance.

CSG

I use 2 coats, guess it depends on how bulletproof you want the finish. One thing you'll notice is DN becomes much harder and tougher as its moisture cure process continues over days and weeks. I don't know how fast that happens but it seems very gradual. It is actually very tender after only 24 hrs. I don't fish them for at least a week and really prefer to wait a month.

I always dip, I think Dean prefers brushing.

I use a fairly thick 1/2 inch camel hair brush for brushing it on, and have used even a 5/8 inch wide. This way, you load the brush 3 or 4 times on a typical bass-sized bait and you're done. I originally thought that it would be more difficult to apply around the lip with the large brush, when in fact it was much easier. Because Dicknite's flashes so quickly, when one first begins using it, it is easy to over-brush it with a small brush, especially when a person is used to leveling out epoxy with the brush. If you apply Dicknite's like you would apply epoxy it is very easy to over-brush which will quickly turn into a mess as it begins to dry. Simply coat the bait quickly, one time with DN, without brushing it back and forth; let it turn on the dryer a few minutes, and hang it somewhere at room temperature where there is no heat blowing on it--remember it is a humidity, or moisture, cure. Bob is spot-on, concerning the curing time, and it helps if you don't hang it in the dryest room in the house.

Dean