fongster

Polycarbonate Crankbait surface prep?

6 posts in this topic

I want to glue some glitter on bare/clear bodies and then coat with Devcon 2-Ton epoxy. Do I need to scuff the surface first or will it stick to polycarb as it is? I assume it is polycarb--maybe it's another hard plastic? Thanks.

It will probably stick "as is" but sanding with some 400 or 600 grit is OK too. I'm usually making a clear bait from a painted one so have sanded off the finish with 400 grit paper. It looks cloudy but turns clear as the epoxy topcoat fills in all the little sratches. So sand or no, it should be OK. BTW, I think crankbait bodies may be one several types of plastic but not polycarbonate.

Thanks, Bob. BTW, should I glue the glitter to the body first, then overcoat it? Or, can I just mix some glitter in the single/top coat (might give it a rough finish this way though)? Thanks.

I've done it both ways but prefer using the cheap paint-on glitter and thinning it with water before applying it with a brush. I can control the distribution and density of glitter much better that way, plus the glitter paint is very inexpensive and comes in a large variety of sizes and colors.

Bob, my daughter has some of that stuff and I've had my eyes on it for a while... I'll try that and then epoxy over. Thanks.

Michael's sells some spray-on glitter in rattle cans that sticks when it's sprayed, and doesn't move when you clearcoat with Etex. Silver, gold, and mixed.